Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 818292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #4545

On the first page of this discussion
sparkybg gives features:

Here is a short list of features:
- power: 9-28V, AC or DC
- 2 separate heater control channels
- 2 independent sensor inputs
---
---
so I thought that 2 separate heater control channel also means a possibility to have JBC tweeaer and JBC iron in ONE control unit.
Can you please explain?
Thanks

Reply #4546
The two heater channels are for using tweezers. One channel for each tip. It is not possible to attach two different irons an use them separately

Reply #4547
That's basically the ideal setup in my opinion, although I have the usb on the front. I temporarily added the rotary encoder in place of the center button. I still need to finalize the rotary version, after which I can revert this one back to button operation (I love the rotary but this front is too nice for a half baked rotary hack).

I wish there was a cheap option to make this locally, but unfortunately this kind of work is expensive over here.. But I like the quality.

Your frontpanel looks Indescribably good :) can you please upload your schaeffer ag Frontplatten Designer source files (front & back). I would like to copy your case :)

Reply #4548
Your frontpanel looks Indescribably good :) can you please upload your schaeffer ag Frontplatten Designer source files (front & back). I would like to copy your case :)

Sure, here they are.

Reply #4549
looking forward the result.

So far, on calibration:
- Current source 1/2: 382.4uA /383.6uA (calculated one is 1.225/1600/2 = 382.8)
- Calibrating with 10ohm resistor channel 1/2:  996/1002 ohm (the resistor is 10.01 ohm)
- ADC changes between 490 and 491
- Resistance changes betwee 1001 and 1002

There is some offset, but nothing too dramatic. I will try to replace the current source opamp to see if it or digital pot is the source of this difference.

The most important thing is - 4-layer is definitely quieter than 2-layer. I am VERY happy with this.

In fact this particular controller on my desk is DEAD QUIET - almost nothing more can be done to make noise less than this - it is registering the thermal noise of components and the noise of the amplifiers.  +/- 0.5 LSB noise on this ADC with amplification that big (375 in this case) is more than I can ask for.

Reply #4550
Sure, here they are.

Thanks for sharing.
As I thought that is very narrow my toroidal transformer won't even fit in 101.50 mm x 101.50 mm.
With €9.70 I have enough Aluminum to make 8 Front and 8 Back.

WOW, the price Total: $136.30 + $42.75 for 1, hard to justify that but as I already said the end result looks nice.

Reply #4551
Hello sparkybg, when using JBC 245, without inserting the heating element, it displays "HEATER OPEN". When using JBC 210, without inserting the heating element, it displays "SENSOR OPEN". Is this normal?

Reply #4552
Thanks for sharing.
As I thought that is very narrow my toroidal transformer won't even fit in 101.50 mm x 101.50 mm.

WOW, the price Total: $136.30 + $42.75 for 1, hard to justify that but as I already said the end result looks nice.

I told you it's expensive ;-). Indeed it's not really rational, but I do not have a lot of expensive hobbies, so that is how I explain it to myself :)

Reply #4553
Hello sparkybg, when using JBC 245, without inserting the heating element, it displays "HEATER OPEN". When using JBC 210, without inserting the heating element, it displays "SENSOR OPEN". Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal.

Reply #4554
I have a question for Sparky re PCB design  SolderMask?

While doing polygon cut is there a reason why solder mask was removed?
Example: U11, U5

I understand the reason why remove the ground plane.
My question is more to learn rather than seeing something wrong but I am seeing this polygon cut a lot lately and have no clue why they remove solder mask like this it requires more attention to avoid solder bridges, if solder goes under the chip there is no way to remove the solder, the only way will remove the chip, wick clean and restart the chip with more care and double-check with a multimeter.

This issue is not going to affect who has experience and tools.

Reply #4555
As 'sparkybg' said: it's normal. I assume it's related to the thermocouple being wired differently for both cartridges:

X

Reply #4556
@sparkybg : Aftrer receiving and testing, would you recommend  me to buy the Unisolder 5.2C Finished Circuit Board  from Tindie?

Reply #4557
@Jane he already told you his outcome and you shared the link to buy.

To make this fair there is not only this tindy selling but you can buy also from other members in this community only if you trust.

if you search on eBay in Europe sometimes they are listed at good price €125 - €135 free fast shipping to all Europe, They will come with serial number and video that show your PCB working fine in the lab.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=10358.msg72610#msg72610

Hope it makes you make a decision, one suggestion please ignore reviews.

Reply #4559
Thanks for sharing.

You can export from the schaeffer frontplatten designer a dxf or step file.

With a step file you can mill or water-/lasercut the panel. I guess there are some companies which manufacturers the panel for a better price.

You can also 3D print the panel with the step file, but 3d printed looks not so professional as made from metal.