Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 811078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #5400
What do you mean?

Re Pic >> It has no marking and is not perfectly soldered.
Something I do not like is that he used 24vdc SMPS to save up space for the rest I am sure he put in a lot of hours in thinking however I hope it works fine with no issues.

Thanks for sharing the link @WerVa  and thanks to Erikovsky for sharing on Github.

Reply #5401
He has changed Q7, or maybe a mistake ( how this can happen with the program control )
Maybe he uses some kind of Adj version of LM1117 - but that will increase the losses ( anyway that is a part of the alignment ), but why the change is done?

Reply #5402
and thanks to Erikovsky for sharing on Github.

"Open-sourced JBC soldering station control based on UN5.2C"

I can't find where the open software.

Reply #5403
I can't find where the open software.

This is a fork of an open-source, so an open-source without Code but at least he shared all files re PCB.

I checked this since it is Electronics and I was more interested in his PCB Design than what it does. 

Re Unisolder 5.2 and 5.2c I am super happy with the work of SparkyBG and do not think this tiny thing can be compared to his awesome work. This is my opinion ofc and who is after size this Tiny design might be useful if it works fine with no bugs/ design issues, only those who is testing this can know.

Reply #5404
Shit happens. 48V mod

Reply #5405
Shit happens. 48V mod

Sure it can happen if you apply twice the power and not all components changed, what mod have you done on the 5.2?
Have you changed what Catear suggested for his mod 48V and do you have any plan to switch voltages or just want to use it fixed 48v?

Reply #5406
Sure it can happen if you apply twice the power and not all components changed, what mod have you done on the 5.2?
Have you changed what Catear suggested for his mod 48V and do you have any plan to switch voltages or just want to use it fixed 48v?
This is Catear’s 48v mod in the picture. MOSFET had been changed to TO-263 packages to withstand higher voltage. Several resistors (R2 R47 R51) had been changed to 1206 packaged ones. This unit is not mine, it is someone else’s unit. I found it quite weird that when the Zener Diode is 36v, the Pre-Regulator parts explode immediately with 48vac input voltage. But they(pre regulator) works just fine with 24v zener diodes. Q2 runs pretty hot of course but at least it wouldn’t explode for now. Catear DID NOT modify the valley fill circuit and buck circuit for his 48v version. Maybe he just doesn’t want to do to much of redesigning work. However, sparkybg told me that it is better to connect the valley fill circuit AND buck circuit to a separate 12v winding (either same or different transformer?) Buck circuit should work fine with SEPARATE 12v rail but I am not so sure about the valley fill circuit (if they will work with SEPARATE 12v rail).

Reply #5407
This is Catear’s 48v mod in the picture. MOSFET had been changed to TO-263 packages to withstand higher voltage.
For sure that needs to be done - 100V Transistor is risky to be used on 48V rail powered by Trf.
Several resistors (R2 R47 R51) had been changed to 1206 packaged ones.
Not only, but R2 value should also be at least 6.2k and over
  I found it quite weird that when the Zener Diode is 36v, the Pre-Regulator parts explode immediately with 48vac input voltage. But they(pre regulator) works just fine with 24v zener diodes. Q2 runs pretty hot of course but at least it wouldn’t explode for now.
Look for the right R2 value and this time Q1 will be colder

Reply #5408
For sure that needs to be done - 100V Transistor is risky to be used on 48V rail powered by Trf. Not only, but R2 value should also be at least 6.2k and over Look for the right R2 value and this time Q1 will be colder
Are you sure about increasing R2? My guts are that 4.7k does not provide sufficient working current for ZD3. I know it sounds counterintuitive but you do want to DECREASE the value of R2 to provide sufficient Izk for ZD3 (plus base current for Q2).

Reply #5409
Are you sure about increasing R2? My guts are that 4.7k does not provide sufficient working current for ZD3. I know it sounds counterintuitive but you do want to DECREASE the value of R2 to provide sufficient Izk for ZD3 (plus base current for Q2).
I mean 36V zener. And I mean to increase the value of R2 to 6.2k. In my opinion, it will limit zener current and will supply enough current to the Q1. You will get not burning and less heating Q1. To be sure , give to me the exact part value of ZD3

Reply #5410
I found it quite weird that when the Zener Diode is 36v, the Pre-Regulator parts explode immediately with 48vac input voltage. But they(pre regulator) works just fine with 24v zener diodes. Q2 runs pretty hot of course but at least it wouldn’t explode for now.
I moded sparky's design. It is not tested, but I expect it to work - not to burn. You can choose the divider of your own will, depending on the Temp of Q1. Initial conditions for ZD3 is not working ( protective purpose ) as in the sparky's design

Reply #5411
I mean 36V zener. And I mean to increase the value of R2 to 6.2k. In my opinion, it will limit zener current and will supply enough current to the Q1. You will get not burning and less heating Q1. To be sure , give to me the exact part value of ZD3
What I am saying is yes you do need to limit Zener current but Zener diodes need sufficient current to clamp the voltage properly. I think 1SMB5938BT3G is used here and its Izk@36v is 10ma. Here is a detailed explanation of Izk and Izm here: https://sciencing.com/read-zener-diode-ratings-6160739.html

Reply #5412

Zener diode need to work in Reverse Bias Region in order to regulate the voltage properly.

Reply #5413
Zener diode need to work in Reverse Bias Region in order to regulate the voltage properly.
First Nowhere is mentioned the kind of the zener nor its power dissipation, not even from you, I meant what was your kind of the zener.
Second, you complain from immediate burning and that speaks for non-propper zener working point or other board fails. Instead of to show your knowledge it is better to come with a solution, and ... Yes 6.2k resistor with BZX585-B36 with 2mA Iz will work. It will work correctly also with the Mod, I publish for the 48V supply ( recommended value is 16k for the extra R - less heated Q1). Definitely, I don't expect to be burned this time!

Reply #5414
First Nowhere is mentioned the kind of the zener nor its power dissipation, not even from you, I meant what was your kind of the zener.
Second, you complain from immediate burning and that speaks for non-propper zener working point or other board fails. Instead of to show your knowledge it is better to come with a solution, and ... Yes 6.2k resistor with BZX585-B36 with 2mA Iz will work. It will work correctly also with the Mod, I publish for the 48V supply ( recommended value is 16k for the extra R - less heated Q1). Definitely, I don't expect to be burned this time!
I am definitely not trying to show off my knowledge here and excuse me for making you feel that way. As I said before the Zener Diode used in the picture is 1SMB5938BT3G with 3w rated power dispersion and Izk value of 10ma@36v. Maybe for the particular Zener (1SmB59xxBT3G) it needs larger current in order to work properly.