Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 811080 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #5385
2nd Front board is no working fully too!
Now I only gotta figure out what is wrong with 2nd backboard that shows heater open with both frontboards even when I short Q10 to Q2. Was a not properly soldered U3.

And the sensor board that requires me to put the handle into holder after tip change for the tipchange to go away, i guess some pull down resistor or sth like that is not working. But yeah actually thinking about leaving it like this.

Reply #5386
Hi Catear,

The strange thing is that I have absolutely no sign of noise when I use the newest BSS138 N channel mosfet version of the sleep sensor that Minkok designed. On the C245, there is no problem at all, only the C210 behaves weird with the constant switching between ST/HT. The sleep sensor works perfectly otherwise.

An easy solution would be to add an option in the FW to remove the beep signal once ST temp has been reached, and the option to remove the HT/STWT indication in the screen.

Would you be able to provide an updated FW like that?

One more finding: The rapid HT/ST switching with C210 on your FW does not appear when I use the standard C210 iron config values. But when I use the config aenu to fine tune the parameters so that the temperature is accurate, the error occurs.

So again, the error is somewhere in your FW. Is there any hope to get an updated FW from your side?

Reply #5387
I've assembled my PCBs and was starting the testing process and have had a few issues:
  • I hooked up a C245 tip and it immediately started glowing. I immediately shut it down so while it looks a little heat stressed, I'm hoping it'll still work.
  • It was detecting DC instead of AC (I didn't realize this until I was troubleshooting the glowing issue).

After some searching on here I discovered that the DC issue was likely caused by the zener diodes. Sure enough, it looks like I ordered 6V zener diodes instead of 3V ones (I think I got 1 number wrong in the part number). I'll order replacements before I do anything else, but to try and minimize the number of orders I have to place, I've got a few questions:
  • Where should I check to see if any damage was done? Everything around those diodes looks to be able to withstand the voltages they were getting and they don't look visibly damaged, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned.
  • Is the controller thinking it's being powered with DC when it's actually being powered with AC a possible cause for the glowing tip? Are there any other things I should investigate for that issue?
  • Is there a way to check that the handle is wired properly internally? I got a T245 handle from AliExpress (though I was using genuine JBC tips) and I'm a bit concerned that they didn't follow the proper pinout as at least the wire colors inside didn't seem to match (see the attached image)

Reply #5388
I've assembled my PCBs and was starting the testing process and have had a few issues:

I hooked up a C245 tip and it immediately started glowing. I immediately shut it down so while it looks a little heat stressed, I'm hoping it'll still work.
It was detecting DC instead of AC (I didn't realize this until I was troubleshooting the glowing issue).

After some searching on here I discovered that the DC issue was likely caused by the zener diodes. Sure enough, it looks like I ordered 6V zener diodes instead of 3V ones (I think I got 1 number wrong in the part number). I'll order replacements before I do anything else, but to try and minimize the number of orders I have to place, I've got a few questions:

Where should I check to see if any damage was done? Everything around those diodes looks to be able to withstand the voltages they were getting and they don't look visibly damaged, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned.
Is the controller thinking it's being powered with DC when it's actually being powered with AC a possible cause for the glowing tip? Are there any other things I should investigate for that issue?
Is there a way to check that the handle is wired properly internally? I got a T245 handle from AliExpress (though I was using genuine JBC tips) and I'm a bit concerned that they didn't follow the proper pinout as at least the wire colors inside didn't seem to match

Check first for a proper handle wiring, use a multimeter - heater is around 3.5 Ohm, Tc = 0 Ohm - that way you can distinguish the wires
Check if all voltages are ok from the backboard
Check if don't have other confused components, check MOSFETs for a D-S short
If all is done connect the backboard to the  front one to check if everything is ok, check for proper AC-DC recognizing
Connect handle without cartridge to check ID - if ID is ok MOSFETs and their driving are ok also
That is the first stage to estimate the boards.

Reply #5389
    Check first for a proper handle wiring, use a multimeter - heater is around 3.5 Ohm, Tc = 0 Ohm - that way you can distinguish the wires
    Check if all voltages are ok from the backboard
    Check if don't have other confused components
    If all is done connect the backboard to the  front one to check if everything is ok, check for proper AC-DC recognizing
    Connect handle without cartridge to check ID - if ID is ok MOSFETs are ok also
    That is the first stage to estimate the boards.
    [/list]

I couldn’t find any information about the heater and thermocouple so thank you! I’ll test those to verify my handle wiring
    All other voltages on the back PCB looked correct and ID was correct as well (it recognized the C245 handle as such). I just need to replace those zener diodes before I can verify the AC-DC recognition.

Reply #5390
    • I hooked up a C245 tip and it immediately started glowing. I immediately shut it down so while it looks a little heat stressed, I'm hoping it'll still work.
    • It was detecting DC instead of AC (I didn't realize this until I was troubleshooting the glowing issue).

• Where should I check to see if any damage was done? Everything around those diodes looks to be able to withstand the voltages they were getting and they don't look visibly damaged, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned.
    • Is the controller thinking it's being powered with DC when it's actually being powered with AC a possible cause for the glowing tip? Are there any other things I should investigate for that issue?
    • Is there a way to check that the handle is wired properly internally? I got a T245 handle from AliExpress (though I was using genuine JBC tips) and I'm a bit concerned that they didn't follow the proper pinout as at least the wire colors inside didn't seem to match (see the attached image)

I had the same issue with an Aliexpress T245 handle: The POS and NEG wires were reversed. Just make sure you account for that when you hook up the connector. It will then work as expected (although I did buy an original handle in the end).

Reply #5391
    I had the same issue with an Aliexpress T245 handle: The POS and NEG wires were reversed.
    I can confirm that. same to me ( Blue & Red ), pins 5 & 2 of the  original connector. They do it may be by proprietary's reason

Reply #5392
    Well I replaced the zener diodes, confirmed more reasonable voltages, and it's still detecting DC so I'm going to have to go in more depth. I currently only have a multimeter so I'll probably have to get an Oscilloscope to properly diagnose the rest of this; I've been meaning to get one at some point anyways

Reply #5393
    Well I replaced the zener diodes, confirmed more reasonable voltages, and it's still detecting DC so I'm going to have to go in more depth. I currently only have a multimeter so I'll probably have to get an Oscilloscope to properly diagnose the rest of this; I've been meaning to get one at some point anyways
    Check R47, R51, ZD4, VINT and Vvallay

Reply #5394
    Check R47, R51, ZD4, VINT and Vvallay
    You don't need an oscilloscope for any of them, just for VINT use an old, non-RMS multimeter ( you need only to check, not to deploy )

Reply #5395
    Hi,
    still can't get mine to work. I also baught the presoldered set from Tindie, but I have a problem with calibration. When I connect a 0,1% 10 ohm resistor I get a value of 360-390, depending on the position of the trimmer. I measured the voltage over the resistor and the current according to this blog and my values match pretty precisely. This is btw. the same for channel B. By my knowlege I would need to change R57 and/or R59, is that right? And which resistance should I change them to? I hope someone could help me, as I am very close giving this up.
    (Room temperature is about right)
    (24VDC switching Power supply)
    Thanks in advance

Reply #5396
    I measured the voltage over the resistor and the current according to this blog and my values match pretty precisely. This is btw. the same for channel B.
    That's means, you have the correct working current sources and MOSFET-s.

By my knowlege I would need to change R57 and/or R59, is that right?
    In my opinion, you need to have correct calibration to be able to align the Temp. by changing the resistors.
    Check R61&64, D20&21
    Check the voltages compared to Afedorov's voltage table for the Temp path.

And to the Tindle guy, Please increase the quality control and give to your customers needed help in situations like that, we are not supposed to fix your problems.

Reply #5398
    It looks like nice work in Chinese but just asking is there a need to go smaller?

Just notice what happened to that pic ???

Reply #5399
    It looks like nice work in Chinese but just asking is there a need to go smaller?
    It looks like he uses 4 layer board ( good thermal and noise stability ), why not. We will have more room in the case or smaller case to be used as a mobile solution. He has changed Q7, or may be a mistake ( how this can happen with the program control ) and has kept C85&86 ?!
    Just notice what happened to that pic ???
    What do you mean?