MSP430 quick start
MSP430 is a low-cost, low-power, 16bit microcontroller from Texas Instruments.
- 16bits, 16MHz (16MIPs), 3.6volts max
- Ultra low power (1mA per MHz), with several internal clock sources for all processing/power requirements
- 16MHz precision internal oscillator that wakes from sleep really fast for very low power applications that need short bursts of speed
- Edge selectable interrupts on all IO pins (normally)
- Tiny versions with 1K of flash (in DIP packages), huge versions with 100K+ (usually SMD packages)
- Available with integrated radio transceivers for wireless networking
- $20 ez430 programmer/debugger works with most modern chips
Development and programming
IDE and compiler
- ez430 (~$20, or free), Spy-Bi-Wire
- MSP-FET430UIF (~$100), Spy-Bi-Wire and MSP430 JTAG
- MSP430-JTAG-Tiny from Olimex
Build your own
- GoodFET (BSD licensed)
The MPS430 bootloader situation is muddy. Some older chips shipped with a bootloader integrated in ROM. Many newer chips are so small there's no room for a bootloader. If you know of anything please list it here.
There is new "MSP430 Bootloader" created by me. You can find full specification and source code on my WIKI here: "MSP Bootloader by Dylek"
- Connect all the supply pins to power (Vcc) or ground (Vss). Don't forget any AVcc and AVss pins
- Put a 0.1uF decoupling capacitor on each positive supply pin, and put it as close to the chip on your PCB as possible
- Reset is the RST/NMI/SBWTDIO pin on MSP430s (shared with programming data pin)
- Connect a 47K ohm resistor from RST to the supply voltage for normal operation
MSP430s use a 2wire programming connection called Spy-Bi-Wire. Older MSP430s used a sort of JTAG connection, but you'll probably never see it.
- 1. BTXD
- 2. VCC
- 3. SBWTCK
- 4. SBWTDIO
- 5. GND
- 6. BRXD
The F20xx target boards only use 2-5, Pin 1 being VCC is marked on them with a key slot for BTXD.
- Built in 16MHz precision oscillator with multiple frequency options
- XIN/XOUT pin are for a 32.768kHz real time clock crystal. The typical crystal load capacitors are integrated (no external caps needed)
- IOs can source/sink 1.5mA or 6mA while maintaining the output voltages specified in the datasheet
- 12mA or 48mA total for all ports