Matseng was bored over the weekend and decided to make some art. He soldered up a Little Wire in dead bug style using a fine tipped soldering iron, stereo microscope, and 2 hours of his time. Check out below how this project ended up when encased in not so clear resin.
My level of boredom was not enough to actually etch a PCB for it so I did a freeform version of it. With a fine tip on the soldering iron, 0.4 mm solder, a stereo microscope and a hour or two of soldering and bending wires even an old fart like me can get the parts together without a PCB.
It all turned out rather bad. The clear 5-minute epoxy became half transparent yellowish with a lot of bubbles stuck in it even if I tried to mix the epoxy as carefully as possible. And it stuck pretty bad to the aluminum. I should have used proper clear resin specifically made for casting and also used a vacuum chamber to remove the air bubbles.
Well, It didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted, but the Little Wire works and kinda looks cool anyways so I really can’t complain too much :-)
Via the forum.