Categories

WORKSHOP VIDEO #28: Exploring the serial port

Posted on Thursday, July 5th, 2012 in Bus Pirate, Logic Sniffer, USB IR Toy, Videos by Ian

While USB is all around us, the humble (virtual) serial port is still everywhere. Today we explore the serial interface on the Infrared Toy, Bus Pirate, and Logic Sniffer. See a demonstration of the binary interfaces and commands normally used only by software utilities. Grab some terminal software like Tera Term, and Hercules and follow along.

Here’s some references from the video:

You can get IR Toy v2 for $22.05, own the Bus Pirate for $30, or grab a Logic Sniffer for $50. All including free worldwide shipping.

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 5th, 2012 at 4:00 pm and is filed under Bus Pirate, Logic Sniffer, USB IR Toy, Videos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

10 Responses to “WORKSHOP VIDEO #28: Exploring the serial port”

1. pietja says:

I use Terminal made by “Br@y++” because it can do anything with a serial port you need ;)

2. Steve says:

Very informative….. but you are talking to fast. Please slow down. Looking forward to your next video.

And thanks.

• Ian says:

Thanks Steve, I’ll do my best to slow it down next time. I tend to edit all the pauses out too, which doesn’t help.

3. Raja Balu says:

Ian, Thanks for the video. And many thanks for posting the links to the software tools.

4. Jan Ray says:

Can we do this in Linux?

• Ian says:

You should be able to do all this in Linux, sometimes much easier :) I’m not sure of the best terminal tools though.

• eloy paris says:

minicom is a fantastic terminal application for Linux. I like about it that it is a text user interface application so one can SSH into a Linux machine and run it from the shell.

The screen application also makes for a pretty decent terminal application. I have used screen for ages but only recently found that it will talk directly to serial devices:

Cheers!

5. LA says:

Good videos, but whoever it is that picks the frame that is displayed in the preview obviously likes funny faces!