Categories

WORKSHOP VIDEO #12: New Dangerous Prototypes workshop

Posted on Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 in Videos by Ian

Take a tour of our the new workshop that’s setup to document projects and make build videos.

Don’t miss last week’s Global Geek Tour to the electronics markets of Seoul.

We’ll be back next week with a PIC 18F2550 USB breadboard helper build video.

Check out our collection of workshop videos.

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 at 1:00 pm and is filed under Videos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

18 Responses to “WORKSHOP VIDEO #12: New Dangerous Prototypes workshop”

1. The shop looks good!

The sound has a bit of an echo, something I identify with in my own shop and recording studio/office. This is from the hard surfaces and unforgiving corners throughout. Even if you throw some pillows up against a wall during recording, that will help (that’s what I’ve been doing). Otherwise, I’d suggest doing something like Dave did in his recording studio, building sound absorption panels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQLDIrS8deU. It’s really a trial and error thing so try out a lot of different stuff!

2. Sjaak says:

Billy Boy! ;)

3. kevin says:

It sounds ok, you can always add some acoustic treatment, though :) You really want to break up parallels, otherwise you will get standing waves / resonant frequencies.

There are plenty of designs out there, some look really cool and can add to the ambiance of the office. I love the look of Skyline Diffusers. I, too, will have my office/workshopin my attic. I will probably have to do a little treatment if I want to start making build videos, though ( which I certainly want to do ).

Congrats on the new workshop, I look forward to all the new videos.

4. Derek says:

Nice video area. I’m a desk space fanatic so the wraparound desk looks quite handy. Lighting is a big annoyance in my room right now. I end up with three desk lamps crowded around where I’m working. Looking forward to more videos!

5. Arup says:

Looks nice and more organized than the previous workshop.

6. ericwertz says:

Sunlight? What’s that?

7. Brian says:

I use daylight CFLs for my lightbox maybe they aren’t common in NL though.

• Ian says:

Hey Brian,

Yeah, I could only find daylight bulbs in 4 foot tubes so that’s why I ended up with the florescent fixtures. I plan to swap them in soon.

I’m in the process of building a light box with 18″ (or 24?) daylight tubes and will have to order them online. Light box seems like a huge upgrade from light tent, and will fit in the open spot on the desk in the workshop because there’s no external lights.

8. Zeta says:

way better organized and lit.

9. JBeale says:

I assume you’re using the microphone built into the camera. If you want to get better audio, the first thing to do is get the microphone closer to the source of the sound. A cheap lapel mic can sound perfectly good for this sort of thing. If you don’t want to actually wear it, you could suspend it overhead just out of the camera shot. As long as it is closer to you than the camera, the sound will be better (with less echoes) than if the mic is on the camera.

• Ian says:

Hey JBeale,

Will you be at Bay Area Maker Faire this year? I talked about our application in the video, but ended up cutting it.

An overhead boom mike or lapel mic is a great idea. I also scrounged up some egg crate material for the back walls as suggested further up in the thread.

10. Joe Desbonnet says:

I’m curious which side of the pond is DP based? I always assumed it was in the US, but my PCB was mailed from Amsterdam.

11. philip says:

Could you drop by goldfish street when you go to hong kong too? :)