STM32 Nucleo development series

in Arduino, dev boards by the machinegeek | 8 comments

STM32_Nucleo_p3526big
Alexander Czajor from ST writes:

ST has just released the STM32 Nucleo. This is a series of development tools that allow to quickly evaluate any STM32. These boards are extensible with Arduino, and they are supported by mbed. This makes them a good basis for any embedded community.

The main idea:

- A lean board
- Contains and STLink debugger/programmer (as all ST MCU evaluation tools do)
- Contains an STM32 in 64pin package
- Carries Arduino UNO v3 connectors
- Carries another connector called “Morpho” (and ST development)
- Has 2 Vreg and a couple of buttons and LEDs

Starting from there, every STM32 Nucleo board has the same layout making the each I/O pin of the contained micro available on the same physical location of the Arduino and “Morpho” connector. Many functions are common to all STM32 on the same pin location.

Arduino compatibility:
- The boards have the Arduino UNO R3 connector. This connector carries a so called IOREF pin. This pin allows the Arduino shields to adjust the IO voltage to the 3V3 for the STM32 if these shields follow the specification. The official Arduino shields are said to do so

Mbed support:
- Mbed has full support for these boards (communities, code libraries etc.)
- STLINK supports
o Virtual com port (also useful outside mbed)
o Mass storage mode for programming (also useful outside mbed)

Apart from that it is worth noticing that the boards are supported by IAR and KEIL and they can also be used with GCC based IDEs such as Atollic.

For more information visit the STM Nucleo page.

This entry was posted in Arduino, dev boards and tagged , , .

Comments

1. ken says:

No STM32F429 support though, so we can’t run uclinux on these :-P

2. Stevie says:

Thanks. :)
    Just recieved one of these in the post this morning. Been experimenting and learning with the STM32F4 discovery for a while. These boards look really nice and with Mbed, easier to program.

3. Drone says:

Here’s a nice article regarding “Practical Advice on Running uClinux on Cortex-M3/M4″. Yeah I know it is Electronic Design, so no telling how long the link will be viable – sigh. And yes the Devil is in the details (or missing details). Nice overview though…

Regards, Drone (David)

4. Sid Ray says:

Is it possible to get these boards running using the gcc-arm compiler from the command line on ubuntu linux system?

If so where can I find the startup code, peripheral header files, linker script (stm32f401ret6 specific), debugger and reference designs?

Also how would I download the final build onto the system?

All help greatly appreciated.

Sid

5. Alex says:

I don’t know about the Linux compiler version, but you couls check out the contents of the “STM32CubeF4″ software package …

The STM32 Nucleos seem to support mass-storage with drag-and-drop programming.

Alex

6. Dan K. says:

Be aware – the USB interface’s debug channel and virtual COM port channel on these boards are intermittent in operation. The debug channel periodically loses communications with the host PC with a USB communications error and the virtual COM port does not always deliver all of its data to the PC host. The missing data is not lost, just delayed until the next data is sent from the board to the PC host. I’ve never had any problems like this on the various T.I. LaunchPad or Arduino boards I’ve used!

Also, the “STM32CubeF4″ is very immature. I’ve found many various bugs in it in the week and a half that I’ve been using it.

• SeaFood says:

It seems this behaviour was initially the one of first mbed implementations on STM32 Nucleo and that latest firmware version for STLink USB part to PC is correcting this behaviour. See this link

Really ? Not my experience at all ! Could you please share with others what issues you got ?

7. Dan K. says:

I have the latest ST-LINK/V2-1 firmware and it doesn’t change things.

As for the firmware bugs, rather than repeat the issues I’ve found with the STM32CubeF4 here, it’s probably best to go to the STM32 Software Tools and Firmware Forum site at:

STM32 Forum

Just look for the Created By items for “Dan K.”