Ham Radio Linux LiveDVD Ver. 14 supports RTL-SDR, HackRF and more

in Linux, RF, SDR, software by the machinegeek | 18 comments

live_dvd_gnuradio
Andy, amateur radio operator KB1OIQ, has released the Version 14 of his Ham Radio Linux LiveDVD containing programs focused on amateur radio and SDR operations.

This is a remastered version of Ubuntu Linux. As of version 13, there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions available, as well as an image for the PengPod 1000.

This version contains a lot of amateur radio software including Fldigi, NBEMS, Gpredict, earthtrack, xcwcp and qrq, XLog and cqrlog, flrig and grig, xnec2c, fl_moxgen, aa-analyzer, owx, VOACAP, glfer, Xastir, gqrx, gEDA, and more!

Version 14 adds GNU Radio Companion, quisk, direwolf, linamc, FreeDV, wsjt-x, and Micro-Fox 15 Config (GPL), and many updates.

Recommended system requirements are a 1GHz CPU and 512MB memory at an absolute bare minimum (gqrx will require more – about twice as much).

Links to the ISO downloads can be found on Andy’s Sourceforge page.

This entry was posted in Linux, RF, SDR, software and tagged , , , .

Comments

1. Drone says:

Over on the RTL-SDR.com Blog it says:

“Linux LiveDVD that Supports RTL-SDR and HackRF”

Post is here:

It also says it has GNU Radio and GNU Radio Companion on the DVD.

I haven’t tried it yet. I have some RTL-SDR dongles in the waiting when I get around to it.

2. xradionut says:

Unfortunately it’s hosted at Sourceforge…

• Jack says:

I imagine there’s not a lot of options for projects that want to host binaries instead of just a source repository.

Both GitHub and Google Code have deprecated and removed their downloads/binary hosting features. I think bitbucket still supports binary downloads, but I don’t know what their file size limits are.

Lots of ISPs and Universities run public mirrors for popular distributions, but you’d need a bit of a track record before that becomes an option.

• Sleepwalker3 says:

What’s the problem with Sourceforge?

• DP says:

they push malware these days.

• Sleepwalker3 says:

Ahhhh, thanks, that explains a lot. I’d been looking at PDF software not long ago on Sourceforge and some that previously had great reports suddenly had reports of the program installing Bad Malware and lots of people getting mighty pee’d off over it. I figured it was probably that they had in on their systems anyway and just thought it was Sourceforge, but the sheer numbers didn’t add up – Now it makes sense.

I think Download.com have gone the same way, they used to be great, but now they have their downloader which I always try to avoid after some sneaky stuff previously. With what I saw of the latest AVG license, it certainly appears that they are laying the groundwork by putting vague and ‘open to interpretation’ type statements that to my way of reading basically says ‘We can send you crap, give your details to 3rd parties for ‘services’, etc.’

I don’t begrudge them making a $, but be open and clearly upfront about what you’re doing if you are doing that, not some vague wishy-washy statement that you twist a little more in every paragraph.

3. Drone says:

Sourceforge and drive-by installers. Sigh – welcome to the 21′st century kids.

As a host, you can easily inform your downloaders how to avoid the unwanted nonsense. As a downloader, by exercising a bit of common sense, you can avoid the unwanted nonsense as well.

This Adage is perhaps appropriate (in an inappropriate way) here…:

Use protection, you’ll get what you need from her – and nothing more.

• Sleepwalker3 says:

Well that’s what I used to think Drone (that as a downloader, just exercise a bit of common sense), until some months back when I read from many people how they’d selected the ‘decline’ or whatever wording they used, only to have it installed anyway! Again there was too many for it just to be a mistake by a few. Eventually the complaints on the site got so bad that they came half-clean and said something to the effect of “Oh, we mean decline not to have it, you just interpereted it wrong” – of course it didn’t matter if you declined or not, it installed the malware in either case if you installed the non-malware program you were originally wanting. The did change it, but there was just so much outcry over it. Yes you really need to have a lot of protection these days, it’s very annoying. If they were up-front about it and said something like ‘try it for 30 days, there’s no free version, but we’ll make a lesser version for cheaper’ or something like that, then at least people could decide.

• Drone says:

I’ve never experienced a “forced” drive-by malware install from Sorceforge. That’s not to say it can’t happen…

Turn off all your scripting (I use Firefox with the NoScript plug-in), start the Sourceforge download. When prompted you will see a direct download link, click it and send the link to your download manager (if you use one) or save the file to disk.

Using this technique, If there is a “forced” drive-by malware install in a Source download, then it must have been embedded by the author himself – especially if the author-provided (not sourceforge generated) hash checksum matches.

• Sleepwalker3 says:

Thanks for tip by the way. I do run FF also.

4. Sleepwalker3 says:

I never actually got it, I kept well away after reading so many reports. Yes the Author later admitted it was in there, but claimed the people made a mistake with the setting – but he admitted their’s was different to normal and blah blah…
    Fortunately I’ve never had forced stuff before, but I’ve had some very close calls with some of the ‘hidden’ stuff, when they’ve checked the box and it’s kind of hidden amongst a lot of other stuff, so it’s harder to noticed. Never actually got any of that rubbish though and I run regular checks with good tools.

5. Andy says:

I always compute the md5sum of the ISO before uploading it to Sourceforge, and then I compare Sourceforge’s computation to insure that it matches mine. I don’t and I won’t subscribe to giving the users anything other than the requested ISO.

If anybody downloads “Andy’s Ham Radio Linux”, or any other software which I have on Sourceforge, and finds somthing forced upon them, please inform me immediately. As I said, I would not knowingly allow this to happen.

Thanks for trying this software collection! Be sure to tell your friends!

73,

Andy (of Andy’s Ham Radio Linux)
    KB1OIQ

6. David KD4E says:

I have tried to download Andy’s app three times today & each time it vanishes after completion.

I’m using Firefox 26 on a Puppy Linux computer & have no trouble with any other download of anything on any other site.

Is there another host somewhere that I could try, please?

Thanks!

• Andy says:

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I’m not sure why you’re having this problem. Sometimes, an application will try to do something with the ISO instead of just letting you save it to disk. Be sure you’re saving it directly to disk, and in another terminal window, watch it while it is downloading to be sure this is happening. The file is quite large and I don’t have another hosting site, nor am I aware of an existing torrent.

Thanks for trying, and I hope you’re able to resolve the issue. Please keep us posted.

73,

Andy
      KB1OIQ

7. David KD4E says:

That’s the weird thing, I did watch it all the way through, then suddenly it vanished.

Do you have a free Dropbox account?

I could try getting it that way.

Or, I could set up an FTP for you to upload it to kd4e.com.

Sorry to create a hassle but I’d really like to try it and have never had this problem before.

Thanks! David

8. Andy says:

Hi David,

I could push a version to your FTP site. Contact me offline and we can iron out the details. Email: callsign@the_league

73,