SkyJack open source drone hacking project

in hacks, Linux, open source, RF by the machinegeek | 8 comments

SamyKamkar developed this seriously cool project to wrest control of civilian drones away from their owners.

SkyJack is a drone engineered to autonomously seek out, hack, and wirelessly take full control over any other drones within wireless or flying distance, creating an army of zombie drones under your control.

Using a Parrot AR.Drone 2, a Raspberry Pi, a USB battery, an Alfa AWUS036H wireless transmitter, aircrack-ng, node-ar-drone, node.js, and my SkyJack software, I developed a drone that flies around, seeks the wireless signal of any other drone in the area, forcefully disconnects the wireless connection of the true owner of the target drone, then authenticates with the target drone pretending to be its owner, then feeds commands to it and all other possessed zombie drones at my will.

SkyJack also works when grounded as well, no drone is necessary on your end for it to work. You can simply run it from your own Linux machine/Raspberry Pi/laptop/etc and jack drones straight out of the sky.

You can get more details and download the code on Samy’s GitHub page.

This entry was posted in hacks, Linux, open source, RF and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Brad says:

Why on earth would you want to do this? Never mind just the stealing of hundreds or thousands of dollars investment and countless hours of work, but the only thing that comes to mind is terrorist attack. I’ll be the first to admit it is a neat accomplishment, but can not understand your thinking here. No flame, just honest astonishment.

• ee says:

Some of these “hackers” just want internet exposure for fulfilling some internal desire I suppose :-)
      It could be ignored by blog sites or reported in a way to explain the technical achievement (which I suspect is “low”) while expressing the undesirability of it – but reporting it as “SamyKamkar developed this seriously cool project” left me astounded too.

• Thomas Zieba says:

No one flies an AR-Drone, quit pretending like its a big deal. This “hack” does NOT affect other more sophisticated “drones” or quadcopters. This ONLY affects the cheap toy quadcopter called an AR-Drone which is too expensive for kids to play with and not worth flying since it can’t carry a GoPro on it.

2. Peter Jenkins says:

Let me be the first to say, “guys, lighten up a little”. This is a very cool hack.

3. ee says:

I’m sure it is a very amazing thing in the views of some children.

4. drone says:

Its a feat of engineering. And it worries me.

5. Sigfredo Mendez says:

To all of you bitching “why would you do this?” think about this. guys like him expose security flaws, these flaws are easy to fix but companies refuse to make secure products because of convenience.

6. Atom says:

Why ask? You must be kidding? Heck, you can buy shotgun shot proof drones now for practice. If this can be done here, well then the same principles can be applied generally and not only to the one toy you’ve mentioned. Between practice at the gun range, and his SkyJack device, means that it is now open season -Deer Field, Colorado has the permits available, on these invading and harassing aircraft.