Share and visualize KiCad components with KiCadCloud

homeBanner
Alan C. Assis writes with a new way to share and visualize KiCad components.

It is not easy to find KiCad components. Normally people search at www.kicadlib.org or just “Google” for the component part-number + KiCad, but neither approach normally will return good results. At end of day he/she decides to “home-brew” their components. But because there is not an easy way to share and visualize it, then the bad vicious circle restarts.

Fortunately for people using KiCad, now there is better way to search for components and visualize it before downloading: KiCadCloud.

This site already has few thousand of components, but it needs the component you just built. Then please consider sharing your component there.

Via the contact form.

This entry was posted in components, documentation, site and tagged , .

Comments

1. Jamis says:

Now if only they were still providing mac binaries for KiCad.

I sat down and tried to compile their source tree… It did not go well. They have too many niche build dependancies…

Not to mention that the UI manager they choose for the mac version of KiCad is hella-slow…

• AMS says:

Which of these

* XCode Tools (http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode)
      * bzr (bazaar)
      * CMake (http://www.cmake.org)
      * wxWidgets 2.9 (http://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads)
      * Doxygen (http://www.doxygen.nl)
      * ccache (http://www.macports.org)

Is a niche dependancy?

• Jamis says:

Any version control tool that forces you to make an account to checkout code is silly. Sorry. I don’t want to make a Launchpad account just so I can get the source. Bazzar is friggin nuts. Who doesn’t include all of the patching tools in a VC binary by default!?

And that’s not a full list of dependencies either.

One more: it’d be wonderful if the project website told us that the first thing the make command was going to do was download and compile it’s own version of boost while ignoring the version we already have installed on the system before actually compiled the KiCad source itself… Fine, you need to patch something? Tell us why!

Seriously, this is one of the most convoluted and difficult builds I’ve ever seen and I’m not the only one who thinks so.

2. McMonster says:

A great idea in general, kicadlib.org doesn’t host a lot and finding something there is a pain in the ass.

But since I’ve started using libs from http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm virtually all problems disappeared. It contains a huge number of footprints (with detailed 3D models for every footprint!). There’s also a decent collection of component symbols, but those are usually quick and easy to make, drawing footprints on the other hand often killed my enthusiasm for a new project. I’ve started revisiting my shelved projects after I’ve switched to those libs.

• pelrun says:

That library is absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it’s really painful to use his files since it’s all in individual zip files (a bit improved since he moved to svn but not much.)

I’m maintaining a github repo with his library all unpacked, organised, and the internal paths all rewritten to be relative. Hopefully it’ll allow more people to make use of this awesome collection. Repo is at http://github.com/pelrun/libKicad

It doesn’t have the very latest updates yet, but that’s only because I haven’t run the scripts for a month. I’ll make sure it’s synched sometime today.

• kcswalter says:

I know, you are not the only one asking for an easier solution.

I’m trying to give it a big improvement with postgresql and PHP, and also to find a suitable host for the svn server to avoid the bandwidth limit posed by my home ADSL (this is the reason for the zip files, a full library download with uncompressed files is about 473MB while the compressed files are only about 54MB).

The main problem is that I really like my website as it is now (ok, now stop laughing), running at my home on my server (a Raspberry PI btw), and I don’t get so much motivation to completely change it.

• pelrun says:

I’ve got a couple of scripts that automatically update my github repo from your svn repository, so keeping it in sync with your updates is really easy. I just have to run it regularly, I got out of the habit when you took a short break recently.

Then there’s the benefit that anyone who clones from my repo only uses github’s hosting resources and doesn’t impose any load on your server.

I’ve got a few self-made components in my current project, I’ll make sure to dig them out and send you the details so you can make good versions instead :)

• kcswalter says:

The reason why there is only a “decent” collection of symbols is that they are quick and easy to make and so less people asks for them. I try to add the symbols whenever someone requests a footprint, but it would be easier to expand the library if people just suggested more symbols to be added.

In the same time it takes to create a simple 3D model, I can make at least 10-15 simple symbols.

Yes, I’m saying it, ASK me for the symbols too. If you are already using your own, then maybe they don’t get top priority (I have quite a backlog for the footprints), but they will be added for other people.

My target is to have a good Kicad library, not just a good 3D model library.

3. Stewart Leicester says:

I tried to make KiCAD work on my Mac for my Contextual Electronics course with Chris Gammell but it only ever struggled. Finally ended up using the Linux version under VMware. I’d be *much* happier if the Mac version worked as well.

4. Derek says:

This looks great, I hope its still active.

No changes in github in five months, no messages on Twitter in just as long, and the author’s blog’s last post is two years ago. I’ll send him a note, see if he’s still paying attention to the site. If so, time to upload parts and footprints (modules? kicad I dislike your terminology choice) to the site. The site becomes more useful as used.

5. Avishay says:

Awesome. I wish it would be possible to search for footprints directly from KiCAD…