Quick test of the PS-305D PSU

in kit biz by DP | 8 comments

Mats did a review of the PS-305D PSU he bought from Smart-Prototyping:

I ran some basic measurements on the PS-305D (Linear 0-30V/0-5A, 1mA Display) I recently bought from Smart-Prototyping.The internal volt meter in the PSU seems reasonably well calibrated.Then I tested the Constant Current capabilities with having a direct short circuit through my DMM. It was very hard to adjust currents below 30mA, but that is expected in short circuit mode.  I connected a 12V led bulb with the PSU set at 12.0 volt output. Now the current could be adjusted reasonably well even below 30mAI then set the PSU to 5 volts and connected it to an oscilloscope to see how it behaved during power-on.

This entry was posted in kit biz and tagged , .

1. Drone says:

That spike is killer :-( One more Chinese thing to add to my do-not-buy list.

2. The negative spike should be easy enough to fix with a power schottky diode across the terminals.

I suppose that when paying 1/10th of a proper PSU from Agilent one have to live with some “inconveniences”. But having a PSU that might destroy your project when turned on might be considered to be more than just an inconvenience :-)

3. Craig says:

Should work fine as a constant current source for annodizing small objects. I’ll have to put a big note on it so I don’t use it for any sensitive circuits.

4. Eric Juvastøl says:

Greetings from Norway. My friend from Poland got me one of these and fortunately I live to regret it.
    The ps was left over night and the print board burned badly. Do not buy this shit!
    If less fortunate you will fly off in a cloud of smoke to greet St Peter.
    Alive and Kicking the PS305D outa my house. Bad construction all the way !

5. Mick M says:

This is a very old post.
    I bought the Korad KA3005P.
    Works fine (they updated it since Dave Jones’s post).

There has been nothing from Matseng since the MH370 crash – I am worried.

Mick M

6. blodgar says:

Matseng had a tweet on Aug 12, probably still among the living, breathing and making…

7. Peter Farrow says:

I bought several of these and had no problems at all.

All have given over a year of constant service.

8. Jerry says:

There was a fix for the turn off glitch posted on youtube. He added more capacitance to the control power supply. It seems that the caps on it were discharging faster than the caps in the power circuit (I suppose this would depend on the load.) When the regulator circuit lost power there was no control of the output.