OLSFront – Logic Analyzer

in logic analyzer by DP | 9 comments

vmVHa

Jadew has been working on a new client for Open Bench Logic Sniffer:

OLSFront is a Logic Analyzer client, currently supporting only the Open Bench Logic Sniffer. At the moment it’s still in alpha so it might have serious bugs and will suffer lots of changes until it will reach beta.  It should work on Window XP and above, it’s free, it’s not opensource.  The protocol parsers are written in JavaScript so anyone can roll their own. For now the API is undocumented.

Get a Logic Sniffer for $50, with free worldwide shipping.

Via the forum.

This entry was posted in logic analyzer and tagged , .

Comments

1. andrew says:

Very bad software, works only for Windows. I prefer the old version, java so I can use also on linux.

2. Razvan says:

@andrew,

I’d like to clarify that “the old version” you’re referring to, is actually a different piece of software, developed and maintained by someone else. So don’t worry, this one is not a replacement, it’s just another one.

3. Adam says:

Nice piece of software. Especially writing parsers in JavaScript is brilliant idea. Writing custom parser for LogicSniffer is ridiculously complicated.

It’s a pity that there is no documentation for JS API. It took me two hours to understand the basics. However I was able to write my own parser after that. And it’s working :)

Thanks to author for this app.

4. Razvan says:

Hi Adam,

The reason I didn’t write documentation for the JS API yet, is because it’s still in alpha and some of the API calls might change.

I’m sorry you had to figure it out yourself so I’m gonna write some docs tonight (after work), hopefully they’ll shed a bit more light on what’s what. This way, at least I’ll be able to provide a change log if changes will occur, so people who write their own parsers can update them accordingly.

I will update the forum post once the docs are done.

Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate it.

5. Razvan says:

Hey,

I’ve put together a small help file documenting the JS API, I’ll including it in the package in the next releases.

You can download it here: http://dumb.ro/lafront/OLSFront.chm

6. Drone says:

This is interesting. I just downloaded the Alpha. I wanted to see if it could see if it could query the firmware meta-data from my OLS purchased from Seeed in late January 2013, which by the way is working fine with Jawis latest client except that Jawis client cannot display meta data.

The OLSFront client cannot display the meta data either. It finds the open COM port for the OLS, but never retrieves anything. Then when I try to close the OLSFront client, it crashes. I’m in WinXP SP3+.

Now… I’m not complaining about OLSFront here. I am pretty darn sure that Seeed is shipping OLS devices with outdated firmware. That’s why the meta data can’t be retrieved. I can’t confirm this right now because I need the functional OLS with Jawis client to work on an ongoing project, and I don’t have the time to try figure out how to update the OLS firmware right now. I don’t want to risk bricking the OLS at this time.

Anyway, once things slow down a bit and I can study how to do the OLS firmware upgrade, I’ll do it and check the meta data thing again.

Thanks for another OLS client; even though in Alpha. Thanks and good luck to the Author. I’ll be testing OLSFront and providing feedback as time goes on.

7. Razvan says:

Hey Drone,

Thanks for the feedback. If you ever find out what version you’re using, let me know, I’d like to be able to replicate the issue.

When I’ll be off from work today, I’ll take a look at the code and see what might cause the described behaviour, but I won’t do any error handling unless it’s going to be obvious that that’s where the error is (I’d rather have it crash than handle an unknown error).

Thanks again for the bug report!

Regards,
    Razvan

8. Razvan says:

Hey again,

I looked at the code and found a bug, I forgot to check and close the connection when the options dialog is getting closed, if a query is still in progress. This might explain why you had the crash.

If you get a chance to try to new version, please let me know if the problem persists. If it does, I won’t be able to figure out what’s wrong with out actually running that version of the firmware.

I forgot to mention in the first reply, but as far as I could tell, the meta data stuff was added in a later version of the firmware.

9. Drone says:

Hi Razvan,

Sorry for the delay…

I just downloaded and tried OLSFront-0.2.3.633-alpha.zip

With this new version of OLSFront I tried:

Tools > Options > OLS tab > click Query Meta

No crash, but still no metadata. I tried all sorts of combinations in the Tools Options, still no crash, but stil no metadata display (likely not an OLSFront problem). OLSFront closed when done with no problems. So it looks like your bug fix worked.

As stated before, I need to find time to update the firmaware on the OLS I purchased from Seeed. Once I am able to do that, I’ll test again and report back. If the metadata shows up in OLSFront and Jawis client, I think this will be proof that Seeed is shipping OLS boards with very old firmware. We’ll see; right now I can’t risk bricking my OLS.

If anyone wants to point me to a page where there is a “definative” way to do an OLS firmware update, thank you! I’ve been in the DP forum and Wiki, plus the Gadget Gangster OLS Wiki and it looks like this is a problem. No single source of online instructions and downloable up to date firmware. But then again I haven’t spent hours trying to resolve this (hope it doesn’t come to that).

If you want me to do more testing, perhaps we should move this thread over to the DP forum instead of in the DP blog comments – up to you.

Thanks and regards, David