More from Bay Area Maker Faire 2013

in conferences, Maker Faire by DP | 13 comments

5.fwwiam

Drew’s inside and outside name badge for Maker Faire and spectrum analyzer at Maker Faire after party.

More pictures below.

3.85273321

Polarization visualization from San Bernardino Microwave Society.

8.69149792

Rancidbacon.com – Reaction tester

6.el1hof

Propeddle.com – Software defined 6502 computer on propeller chip at Maker Faire after party

4.aplxk

Theonerobot.com – Maglev at Maker Faire after party

7.e4gpd

Alvero shows off laser laser pulse width detector

2.fafdj

Digital Telecine from Alan Swithenbank

1.dwhut

Remote controlled vibration controller facilitates wearable EL wire — from FreakLabs

19.bqnzc

Extermination pending

38.ljiag

Cookie Perfection Machine (robotic cookie dough mixer)

39.x4uaks

LEGO microscopes

42.rjxao

Creepy

9.zr2nz

It was a long day at Maker Faire and we’re thirsty! Off to the Bring-A-Hack after party!

This entry was posted in conferences, Maker Faire and tagged .

Comments

1. j.p. says:

I want more info about that spectrum analyser!

2. scienkoptic says:

that spectrum analyzer looks like it’s based on this?

3. Tiersten says:

It’ll be one of the Beagle boards if CircuitCo is involved.

• Drew Fustini says:

Yup, I followed that tutorial (http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/beaglebone/480-rtlizer). The nifty thing is rtl-sdr and rtlizer also run on my Ubuntu laptop and rtlizer accepts window size as a command line arg. I also got it compiled and running on BeagleBone Black and displayed on TV via HDMI. However, the LCD cape’s button don’t yet work in the Linux 3.8 kernel in my experience, so I was using the original white Bone with the 3.2 kernel.

4. Jac Goudsmit says:

Nice meeting you at the Bring A Hack Dinner, Ian!

Small correction: Propeddle is a software-defined 6502 computer (not “processor”).

It uses a real 65C02 processor, real RAM memory and a Parallax Propeller microcontroller. The Propeller creates a “virtual computer” around the 65C02. It should be possible to use this system to recreate many early 6502 based systems from the late 1970s and early 1980s, or create your own.

My target audience is those people who want to revive the time when hobbyists built their own computers, each one of them unique, and not necessarily with a specific purpose in mind. It also aims at teachers and students who are interested in what it’s like to know and understand a computer from the inside out and from the bottom up.

In the near future, I will make it available as a kit, but I need to finish the software and redesign the circuit board first.

===Jac

PS some of the ideas behind Propeddle were used in the upcoming Ohio Scientific Superboard 600 (aka OSI Challenger) replica from brielcomputers.com: Check it out here.

5. Drew Fustini says:

Thanks for mentioning me! It was awesome to see both of you as always :)