DIY 3d laser scanner

Alessandro Grossi developed this DIY 3d scanner. The primary ingredients in this project are readily available and include a line laser, an Arduino, stepper motor, stepper motor driver (up to 12800 steps), 12V power supply, IR LED and a digital SLR camera. While he wrote the image processing script for Matlab, he notes that it should also be portable to GNU Octave.

The principle behind this scanner is the typical one of a line scanner. A laser beam intercepts the body to be measured and a camera, positioned at a known angle and distance shoots a series of images. With some trigonometry considerations and optics law is relatively easy to reconstruct the Zeta dimension, the measure of the distance between the body and the camera.

Via the contact form.

This entry was posted in 3D fabrication, 3D Model, Arduino, DIY and tagged .

Comments

1. Terence Ang says:

What software do you use to process the shots, it will be interesting to adapt my motorised slider to into a 3D scanner. I am controlling my slider with a NEMA 17 stepper, using Easy driver, trigger my GF1 with the MSP430 Launchpad.

you can find some info here.

Regards,
    Terence

• Alessandro says:

Hi Terence,

I used a Matlab script. it’s slow, but it works :-)

• Titas says:

I am a beginner in the field of Matlab. Can please get a prototype version or example of the Matlab script you used. As I am new to Matlab, an example would be ideally helpful. Thank you in advance.

2. CanaDave says:

Now for the big question…does it actually work?

• eLLi says:

Why not? 3D scanners are not magic… Alessandro’s setup is perhaps not robust enough for regular or field use, but otherwise i have no doubt that his setup will work.

• Alessandro says:

Hi elli, yes, it works. it’s just a proof of concept, not a real instrument. It worked for the fish. Now I’m thinking to someting more reliable and sturdy.

• Jana says:

I would like to try it. Where can I get the Matlab code?