Spark Core: Wi-Fi for everything (Arduino compatible)

in Arduino, wireless by DP | 8 comments

Spark Core: Wi-Fi for Everything (Arduino Compatible)

The Spark Core is an Arduino-compatible, Wi-Fi enabled, cloud-powered development platform that makes creating internet-connected hardware a breeze.

This little board packs a punch: with a 72 MHz ARM Cortex M3, the best Wi-Fi module on the market, wireless programming, and lots of pin outs and peripherals, there’s nothing you can’t build with the Core.

Via Electronics Lab.

This entry was posted in Arduino, wireless and tagged , .

Comments

1. Paresh Mathur says:

Wow, the product is great and all but the video is awesome. I wonder if they had pro help.

2. rasz says:

GREAT clip :D
    But the question is always the same – will it be cheaper than TP-Link TL-WR703N?
    and the answer is NO, $39 is price of two routers, Routers that have
    2.5x faster cpu
    3x faster wifi
    1600 more memory !!!
    4x more flash
    ~same number of digital I/O
    USB host

• Carl says:

Comparing by price it’s hard to beat a TP-Link router.

But embedded development boards like this are not the same they have a different purpose. For one they are not a consumer item that requires hacking. They are designed for development use.
      I assume the power consumption is a lot lower vs the TP-Link and you have low level control of the pins/processor with out an OS in the way slowing things down.

If we all looked at a mass produced consumer item being sold at a price no one could compete with unless they were also making thousands. Then we wouldn’t make anything, we would just be consumers.

My 2pence, I’m not involved in the Spark project but I am using the same wifi module they are for my own dev board.

• rasz says:

I just read this

“API is exposed through the Spark Cloud, our servers that do cloud compilation and pass secure messages around between the Spark Core”

oh snap, this is another eye-fi

3. Drone says:

Hmm… This is a Kickstarter thing that at my post time is funded at near a quarter million USD. The breakout uses the TI C3000 series part. The problem I see (after only a quick glance) is the “Cloud” issue. Is this thing going to be “locked” into the vendor’s Cloud site? No information about this locked-in issue up-front on the Spark-Core Kistarter page is telling.

I refuse to purchase any product that is locked into a “Cloud” service. I’m still looking at my now essentially useless Chumby that remains homed to the now defunct Chumby Industries site – with no “simple” way to free it :-(

Thanks for the post about this DP…

• Xark says:

Drone, that is a valid concern, however I do see this on their Kickstarter page:

“And in case you’re worried about privacy or lock-in, we’ll be releasing an open source version of the Spark Cloud designed for easy deployment on local machines or your own Heroku dyno, AWS instance, or private server.”

I’m hoping this isn’t some crippled version or something…

-Xark

• eff zog says:

Agree with worrying about cloud lock-in, however if you require dyndyns or equivalent to get around dynamic IP assignment you are relying on a cloud server sort of. That would be the only service I need for “Internet of Things” type projects.

4. tequiped says:

Cool product no doubt – but there seems to be a shortage of TI C3000 chips and by not using an AVR (or a ARM with a similar instruction set to the Due) they will likely break compatibility with most Arduino libraries. If they can get the C3000 in those quantities it still is an awesome ARM board.