Bus Pirate console

in Bus Pirate by DP | 24 comments

BPConsole

Here’s a Bus Pirate console by x893, that is available at github.

Get an assembled Bus Pirate for $30, including world-wide shipping. Also available from our friendly distributors.

This entry was posted in Bus Pirate and tagged .

Comments

1. exerion says:

mamma mia… really nice

2. Lloyd Atkinson says:

Finally

3. Drone says:

IMO, very little information about what’s going on here except for the screen shot (which looks good). Visited the two links in this post (x893 and github). At first glance it is still not clear what’s required in terms BP hardware, BP firmware/version, OS requirement, and some sort of user documentation. Is this a .NET dependent application (hope not).

Maybe I’m missing something,. Perhaps a link to a DP Forum post about this?

• Lloyd Atkinson says:

I just checked it out, yes it is .NET unfortunately. Also, it crashed with an error because the available binary is corrupted.

When I get some spare time I’m considering writing a GUI for the BP, but using something crossplatform (C or Python, not sure what to do for the GUI toolkit though, as GTK3 in Windows seems dead in the water right now).

• rasz says:

Python + Tkinter is most crossplatform afaik. You could easily clone whole GUI as on the article picture.

• Lloyd Atkinson says:

It looks interesting. How does it work with system themes though? For example, will it look like a normal Windows application on Windows, and look like a normal GTK application on Linux etc?

• Drone says:

There is Qt, but last time I bounced off it – it was pretty bloated.

• Lloyd Atkinson says:

I’m not going to use Qt, it dosent have a binding for C, only C++ and Python.

• eLLi says:

@Lloyd Atkinson: Ttk (“Themed TK”) will give your UI a look much closer to the respective platform standards, contrary to TK (and TKinter).

Python’s 2.7 as well as 3.x versions contain ttk.

However, Ttk is not fully backwards compatible to TKinter, and thus any migration of an existing TKinter application might require some effort and testing.

What i am not certain about is how well ttk adheres to the commonly accepted UX of the respective platform (especially regarding keyboard navigation such as ALT-shortcuts or CTRL-cursor text navigation). This is something that is all too easily overlooked by the toolkit developers.

• Steve says:

Try wxPython. I’ve used it before and worked great for Windows and Linux.

• Drone says:

@Steve, Can WxPython compile a GUI application to a stand-alone .exe (plus .dll perhaps) in Windows? I took a look at it awhile back and couldn’t find a way to do that.

4. Ed says:

Could it be a C-sharp (C#) project?

• Drone says:

C# requires .NET framework. .NET is Microsoft proprietary big-time bloatware and not cross platform (Mono is pretty-much dead).

5. Nial Pearce says:

That’s a beautiful sight! Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

6. Sjaak says:

Always wondering why no-one uses the binary mode for this. seems more suitable then emulating an user..

7. Aeroengineer1 says:

I find it interesting that there are a few that are panning the fact that it is written in C#, and then go into a rhetorical debate about how to make it better in another IDE. All this, and yet this person, X893 is the only one to have come up with even this wonderful user interface as well as open up the code for all to use.

As to bloated languages, as soon as you start adding a gui, you will get what most purists call bloat. Do not worry, I can handle my underlying application executable being 10-50X smaller than the GUI code. For something like this, I imagine that it tops the scales under a few meg even in the most bloated manner it could be coded.

I personally tip my hat to X893, and may now consider looking at getting a Bus Pirate to use with this.

Adam

• eLLi says:

Haters gonna hate…

• eLLi says:

…however, some have a valid point when indicating that this tool as .NET application is Windows-only. This is merely a fact, and not an offence towards to the author of this tool.

And as you said, if you want to use such a tool on Linux, but it is not available — make it. The original source code is available and should be readable even for .NET/C# haters (although with a lot of pain and disgust ;-) )

8. Jamis says:

So, Python and SDL eh? Sounds good.

:sigh: