DipCortex – ARM cortex in a dip package with USB

in ARM, dev boards by DP | 13 comments

Dip-Cortex

Carl over at SolderSplash Labs has written an article about their new project known as DipCortex:

It’s an ARM Cortex M3/M0 in a 40 pin dip package and USB socket. It has two version a NXP LPC1347 M3 and a LPC11U24 M0, the pin out roughly follows a certain range of 40pin 8bit micros.

This entry was posted in ARM, dev boards and tagged , , .

Comments

1. JBeale says:

Looks like the web page shows DipCortex M3 available for 25 GBP (roughly $38). The obvious comparison is to a $19 Teensy 3… I guess the DipCortex has more pins, eg more I/O available ?

• rasz says:

and the one i linked is $17.95

• Brian says:

The DipCortex does have more pins exposed, but the MK20 chip that the Teensy uses actually has more I/O though it is not broken out. The Teensy has a second ARM processor on board for programming, which you would think would make it more expensive. I think the Teensy 3.0 was planning on selling more since the Arduino gang can use it without learning a new toolchain.

I personally like Olimex’s development boards for ARM- they are simple and cheap, although not in a DIP package for breadboarding:

Awesome chip though, I used the LPC1342 in my business card project.

• Carl says:

Thanks for looking Brian, Pricing is something we will work on.

For us it’s a bit chicken and egg, Low pricing comes with volume. The current pricing is for a handful of prototypes. We’re hobbyist by night working to boot strap a business without re-mortgaging our houses. So currently can’t afford the capital investment in a huge amount of stock or pick and place machines.

Teensy 3 had a successful Kickstarter pre-order campaign which gave them the volume to offer it at their price.

• Brian says:

Thanks for the response Carl-
        Believe me I understand how the economy thing works :) I wasn’t ragging on your product, it is perfect for what it is- a simple DIP breakout for some great chips with a SWD header. I would much prefer it to the toolchain tied LPCXpresso or MBed, which are much more common ARM DIP prototyping environments. I hope you don’t think I was ragging on your product, I have the utmost respect for what you are doing. Best of luck!

2. Chuckt says:

I like everything ARM. Cheaper is always better but it also depends on features.

3. JBeale says:

I’ve never heard of the EzSBC2 or ezsbc.com but apparently they are located in San Jose CA and do their own assembly in-house. The EzSBC2 looks interesting but I’d like to see some examples of how people are developing for it and using it; do you know of any?

4. Squonk says:

Been there, done that…. Here is mine, featured here 1 year ago…. http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/05/14/usbug-lpc1343-breakout-board/

5. Grant Riley says:

Those SolderSplash guys have got it right. Lovely interfaces.

6. Carl says:

No didn’t think that at all. Just a had a look at your site, I remember seeing your business card PCB on Hackaday!

7. Martin Alter says:

Other than price, the EzSBC2 has other things going for it such as a reset generator. Operating a micro Flash memory that is hot-plugged into a USB connector without a proper reset circuit is very brave or very stupid based on your point of view.

The EzSBC2 was used as the embedded controller for an ePaper display that just started raising funds on Kickstarter. It was combined with a driver for the ePaper display, a large serial Flash memory and a uSD connector to make a stand alone processor with a ton of memory for logging and display storage and a zero power display that is readable in direct sunlight.
    Read more here: http://kck.st/YisV2h

I mostly build auto-pilot aircraft and have used an EzSBC2 as a controller core.
    Martin