Soup dumplings in Dongmen market Shenzhen

in #liveupdates by Ian | 23 comments

image

If I come back from China 10 kilos heavier this is the man to blame. Some of the best soup dumplings ever. Proper procedure is to bite the top and drink the soup inside. Then eat the pastry and meat filling. Failure to drink the soup results in seriously sticky fingers. 5 dumplings for 10rmb ($1.30). Could not convey face frame so he did peace.

This entry was posted in #liveupdates and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Drone says:

“If I come back from China 10 kilos heavier…”; not likely Ian – trust me.

Hey, what are they selling in that yellow stall behind you and to the left? Why are they making that person behind the counter wear a yellow helmet?

Have fun….

• Ian says:

I will check tomorrow when I get more soup dumplings lol

• Mianchen says:

The shop in the left is selling duck’s neck and other duck’s parts, and she is not wearing a helmet, it’s a yellow cap…

Been to the very spot in Feb this year. Everything was great, except there all have a bit too much of MSG to my taste.

• eLLi says:

Go with a Chinese. While i have not been in Shenzen, i have been in a few other cities in both northern and southern China. At least my Chinese fellows were well aware and not very sympathetic towards MSG and avoided places known for using it.

• Ian says:

As a food chemistry geek I have a love hate relationship with msg. 99.9% of the time I don’t care and even stir it into my oil and garlic at hotpot. However sometimes you can tell it is used to cover up poor quality or off meats.then it is the most offensive combo ever. I use msg all the time as it is 100% natural and adds unami, but it has sinister uses too.

• eLLi says:

Yes, the MSG itself is not a problem for the human body.
        It is sometimes used to improve the taste of meat or certain sea food, which can already be in an early state of decay, which you shouldn’t eat anymore. As China is no welfare state, Chinese are always concerned regarding the costs of medical treatment…

2. eLLi says:

And you didn’t burn your lips and tongue? ;)

3. Yum, soup dumplings. You can get them at a few places in NYC. Until I had a hostess explain how to eat them, I always wound up with boiling hot soup on my face.

4. pine says:

And don’t forget the ginger and vinegar ;)

5. Crawford says:

Good soup dumplings in Flushing near my hotel for Maker Faire NYC. Food crawl NYC 2013 anyone?

6. Winston says:

I suspect it wasn’t his intent, but: “The insulting version of the gesture (with the palm inwards) is often compared to the offensive gesture known as ‘the finger’.”

7. sfsdf says:

You eat dong-men? Very amusing! :D

8. sfsdf says:

I mean You eat super dumplings in dong-men markets? Funny :D

9. Drone says:

Hi Ian, You said…

“As a food chemistry geek I have a love hate relationship with msg. 99.9% of the time I don’t care and even stir it into my oil and garlic at hotpot.”

Another interesting fact about MSG, at-least in S.E. Asia (where I reside currently) is that often (most often?) it is (or isn’t?) derived from Pork by-products. I can’t speak much to this as I am currently not a “food chemistry geek”. (But I’m working on it.)

This was brought to my attention in Indonesia where there were Government and Islamic “Authorities” declaring that some MSG sources were derived from Pig products. This is not “Halal” in a strict Islamic country. (I am not Islam BTW). I remember fairly recentently (a year or so ago?) there was a big scandal about the Japanese company “Ajinomoto” selling and/or manufacturing MSG in Indonesia purportedly derived from pig products. If true, big no-no. But I’m working from memory (which is whiskey-soaked at the moment he-he).

Ian, continue your travels… In the eventual-end you will be able to honestly say you have “lived the lives of ten men”… You must do Africa at some point.

Best Regards, David (Drone)

• Ian says:

I had read that as well. I’m cool with pork though, and probably like msg even more if it comes from bacon, the perfect food ;)