The ultimate comparison of IOT development boards

in dev boards by DP | 13 comments

2013-03-19_1737

The ultimate comparison of IOT development boards:

With this post we wanted to compare the latest arrived boards in the world of hobbyists electronics with devices that were already on the market. We highlighted the pros and cons of the most prominent alternatives with the aim of helping our readers to choose the one better fitting with their requirements.

Via Open Electronics.

This entry was posted in dev boards and tagged , .

Comments

1. Zeta says:

Not really “The Ultimate Comparison of IOT Development Boards”

A really loosy comparison, poor selection of boards (not even the newest as it sugests) while the comments have little focus on the IoT.

besides, He thinks a given board is not suitable for begginers when you can’t just directly compile (without modification) a piece of code developed for an arduino.

Save your time don’t read it.

2. Joe Desbonnet says:

What would be handy is a functionality matrix of all the boards out there now. Or even a selection wizard (like those provided by the major parts suppliers). So much choice and often hard to choose based on texty reviews. Eg one which recently cropped up for me: “what ARM Cortex-Mx boards with a free Linux tool chain can operate in µA sleep state… with enough flash/RAM to implement FAT on a SD card?”

3. ken says:

I’d be interested in a power comparison as well.

Joe: you’re not going to be able to get down that low w/ an ARM chip AFAIK. Maybe the new Cortex M0+ chips might do it, but that’s your only chance :-)
    Even MSP430’s barely get down into the under 10uA range if you don’t have any peripherals powered up…

• Paul says:

Hello in 2013. Any Cortex-M does single-digit uA in sleep mode (ex STM32F (not even STM32L) – 3.4uA with watchdog)

MSP430 does hundreds of nA.

4. Joe Desbonnet says:

Ken I managed to get the LPC1114FN28 (the one in the DIP pakcage) down to as little as 4µA in deep sleep mode with the watchdog timer running for periodic wakeup. Although it did take some experimentation (GPIO pin states need to configured carefully) to get there. I also noticed it was very Vdd dependent. I got the 4µA at close the the min operational voltage (1.8V). At 3.3V it was something like 20µA. Some Cortext-M0+ samples just arrived this morning… so looking forward to evaluating them.

5. Darren says:

Is that an arduino library port for ARM? The sample looks like and entry to IOCCC.

There are free tools for stm32, The summon-arm toolschains work just fine under both Linux and Windows although I use the limited IAR IDE for most things.

6. limpkin says:

give me back these 5 minutes of my life.

7. ken says:

Joe: pretty impressive for an M0…configuring GPIOs the right way is always necessary no matter which you use :-)
    You’ll be a lot happier w/ the M0+…I wish they’d have add more flash/memory in them so you can stick a decent RTOS on them, but I guess that’s the price for keeping them cheap :-P

8. hli says:

You can get the EFM32 chips to under 1µA in sleep mode, with full RAM retention, at 3.3V. See energymicro.com for their whole lineup.

9. oliver says:

Why would they use an MK802II instead of a cubieboard? I’m dissapointed.

10. Giovanni says:

You can use ChibiStudio for the STM32 as IDE: https://sourceforge.net/projects/chibios/files/ChibiStudio/

It is free and the RTOS and demos are already integrated.

11. Darren says:

I’ve just started using Chibios but haven’t tried ChibiStudio. I found Eclipse was painful to get working with GDB and OpenOCD.

So far I like Chibios much better than other RTOSs. Thanks Giovanni.