WORKSHOP VIDEO #55: Infrared reflow oven Qinsi QS-5100

in tools, Videos by Ian | 21 comments

After you’ve dispensed solder paste it’s time to reflow all that solder. This is where the reflow oven comes in. It seems like reflow hot plates are a more popular choice in most small shops because they’re smaller, cheaper, and it’s easier to monitor the reflow process. A reflow oven is a lot more convenient though, and it follows the recommended heating profile for the solder paste.

IMG_0716-W600

A reflow oven is an automated way of soldering boards. Stencil or dispense solder paste onto a PCB, place the parts, then pop it in the oven. 10 minutes later, if you’re lucky, nicely soldered boards come out. A lot can go wrong though. Solder might not reflow, heating may be uneven, boards may burn, and results may generally be inconsistent.

We shipped back a Qinsi QS-5100 from China, this is the same brand used by Seeed Studio and SmartMaker. List price is about $220 for the 2 tube model in Huaqiangbei market, with a larger version 4 tube version available for about $440.

More info and a review follow below.

IMG_0718-W600

Sjaak’s RGB LED driver board will be our test subject today, it was part of his Mardi Gras costume. Three FETs with large heatsink pads might not completely reflow, and a DC power connector could deform from excessive heat. Both of these devices have large thermal mass which should provide a good test of our oven and heating profile.

Several people recommend placing the board to be soldered on top of two smaller PCBs in the oven drawer. The smaller boards keep the PCB off the metal grate so it heats more evenly. At least that’s what we’re told, we haven’t tested it without standoffs to compare.

IMG_0720-W600

What’s cool about a reflow oven is that they follow a pre-programmed heat profile, ideal soldering conditions and you just push a button. At least in theory it’s “set it and forget it”.

A “temperature-over-time” graph shows how the oven will heat and cool the PCBs. This particular oven has 5 preset profiles and 1 user programmable profile. The presets don’t match the manual so we documented them on the tool list wiki. Presets, as well as language, are set by holding RUN then turning the oven on by pressing the ON/OFF button. Preset 0 is user defined, and the only one we’re tried.

The heat profile is divided in 5 parts: preheat, soak (heat in Qinsi terminology), solder, natural cool-down (keep in Qinsi-eese), and active cool-down with a fan.

Preheat to 150C, hold for 60 seconds. Board and components are heated to 150C to reduce thermal shock as as we move to higher temperatures. Our preferred profile for the cheap “Mechanic” lead-tin solder paste from eBay preheats to 150C and keeps it at that temperature for 60 seconds.

Heat (soak) to 180C, hold for 58 seconds. Next the boards are heated close to soldering temperature to activate the flux in the paste. Our profile heats up to 180C and holds it for 58 seconds. Most paste profiles will call this the soak period, Qinsi calls this the “heat” phase which seems less jingoistic.

Solder (reflow) at 210C, hold for 30 seconds. Soldering is done during the reflow phase (called “solder” by Qinsi). The temperature is brought above the solder’s melting point and kept there for a few seconds.

Cool naturally (keep) to 180C. After soldering, boards are allowed to cool to a preset temp before turning on the cooling fan. Slow cooling gives better joints. We let the oven naturally cool to 180C before starting active cooling.

reflow-back

Active cooling to 150C. When the boards reach 180C the fan kicks in to quickly finish cooling the oven. Cooling usually continues until the oven automatically shuts down, despite the mention of 150C. We usually wait for the oven to reach 70C before removing boards.

IMG_0726-W600

The board came out perfectly soldered. There’s bound to be some limits to the machine, and we’ve yet to explore the quality of heating on the drawer periphery, hotspots could still be a lurking problem, but overall this is a fantastic little reflow oven. Well worth the price we paid, and seemingly much better than similar ovens.

The T-962, commonly found on eBay for around $300, is slightly larger than the Qinsi QS-5100. Both the Qinsi and the T-962 use only two infrared heating tubes. Two seem barely enough for the smaller work area of the QS-5100, so we chose it over the T-962. The larger Qinsi with 4 tubes and greater vertical separation between tubes and boards probably heats more evenly. Given unlimited money and space we’d choose a four tube oven instead.

Some mention (and others, and others) that various T-962s exhaust bad fumes, timers are off by double or more (5 minutes becomes 12 minutes), menus are buggy, buttons are not debounced, or that the heat doesn’t ramp up fast enough. These were all nagging concerns we had buying this oven, but we have not run into a single one of these issues.

You can discuss this oven further in the forum, and grab a scan of the manual in PDF format. Check out other tools and tool reviews too.

Next time we’ll look at the reflow hotplate, though we just got confirmation that the TM220A pick and place will be here within a day.

This entry was posted in tools, Videos and tagged , , , , , .

Comments

1. Sjaak says:

I’m baffled with the cleanness of the board after reflowing. I expected it to be quite messy with fluxresidue.

2. kevin says:

That oven is cool! I am not sure if I want one of those over a hotplate. Choices, choices.

3. Paul Campbell says:

I bought a T962 – the manual is a wonder – it extols the advantages of this wonderful device with such marketing speak as

2.Products features
    ….
    (4) Humanized science and technology exquisite article.
    Firm of external appearance, operation with visualization, hail-fellow operation interface, the perfect temperature wave project, from start to eventual display that the science and technology is the root. The light weight and small cubage will save more money for you, the desk-top placed, can also save more money for you. The simple operating instructions, make you use the machine easily.

you can see why I bought it

4. anon says:

China: Where English goes to die :D

5. Paul Campbell says:

no – I think it’s what happens when you translate by simply looking up words in the dictionary – I’m sure I would appear the same to people in China if I tried to just transliterate english into Chinese the same way

• anon says:

I know, and there is a reason why you don’t do that. It would never cross my mind to sell a product to china whithout hiring a a translator, I mean it’s common seance.
      And getting a translator even at European prices is cheap compared to mass production. They just simply don’t give a f.

• Paul Campbell says:

On the contrary I’m sure they do, they may not realise what it looks like of course – but it’s a $200 relow oven for heaven’s sake – margins must be tiny – I’d rather have cheap tools and an interesting manual than spend $1k+

I’ve actually been considering translating it myself and sending it to them for free

• John A says:

So how well does the T962 work for you, Paul? Do you see any of the annoyances listed above (i.e. fumes, timers off, bad key hits)?

• Winston says:

“I think it’s what happens when you translate by simply looking up words in the dictionary”

More likely, I’ll bet their manuals are translated by Google Translate or some other free on-line translation utility.

6. anon says:

That would be awsome :)

7. William says:

Anyone know of a reliable place to buy one online to the US? I need to get one soon for small batch manufacturing.

Thanks

• Ian says:

I think someone in the forum ordered one direct from the factory. I’d be careful about assuming it will be satisfactory for small batch manufacturing – it works for one-offs in the center of the drawer. There’s no convection (little fan) as far as I can tell, so it is probably riddled with hotspots around the edges. At least get a 4 tube model.

8. I’d like a purchase a QS-5180C or some similarly large model from Qinsi. Googled for it but most of the sites are Chinese and I’m not sure which sellers are reliable / cheap. Could you recommend a seller?

9. Hedley says:

I purchased a 962c . It badly burnt 4 prototype 4 layer boards so that was same price as the oven . I then purchased a replacement reflow pid controller for the machine which improved matters but it still burns boards . I then purchased a usb temp logger with thermocouple to check profile . Summary the heating has hot spots and is uneven . The ramp up rate is too slow , the cooling rate is too slow -so basically everything is wrong . Once again you get what you pay for and this has been a very frustrating and time consuming and expensive lesson .

10. I’m sorry about your experience. In the meantime I’ve purchased Rocketscream’s Reflow Oven Shield, a thermocouple, an SSR and a cheap oven and it seems to work well so far.

11. James says:

Hi there. Can you get replacement tubes for this oven? Are they replaceable by the user if required for whatever reason?

12. Ed Simmons says:

The ESTechnical reflow controller upgrade is suitable for fitting to the T962 and T962A ovens, we offer two types of upgrade kit.

The T962 and T962A are both great reflow ovens physically, but they are let down by the original controller. Since the oven is equipped with a large cooling fan, we used this to make the oven more like a convection oven by gently idling the fan. This reduces the hot spots and means even heating of PCBs and no burning due to hot spots in the centre of the PCB.

The controllers are supplied with an English installation and operation manual and we offer excellent after sales service if you need any help with the oven.

You can see the reflow oven upgrade packages we sell here:

Also, you can view the installation and operation manuals here:

Happy soldering :-)

13. Ed Simmons says:

Sorry, I broke the links in my previous post… they are both there but are not on the right text.