WORKSHOP VIDEO #53: Unboxing reflow oven, hot plate, and test rig

in Videos by Ian | 11 comments

Unboxing a shipment of tools we sent back from hua qiang bei electronics market in Shenzhen, China. We got a test rig which will help us standardize manufacture testing for our boards. We got two tools for solderpaste reflowing, one is a digitally controlled hot plate, and the other is a reflow oven with programmable preheat, reflow, and cool down time and temperature settings.

This entry was posted in Videos and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Ray says:

Cool, thanks for the video. One question I have is how do you use these devices in the US? I assume they run on 220v? Would you need an inverter?

• Ian says:

They will grab you a 110 or 220 model, though sometimes the 110 may take a day (I guess the order it or convert one). I have 220 in the workshop so I’m super lucky that all I have to do is use the right cord and it works fine.

• Filip says:

If it’s rated for 220 only, then you;d need a huge transformer. But most if not all of these tools are available in 110 versions as well

• Anton says:

Ray, I bought 110V version (got it today by DHL). Look at my post where Ian introduced this oven.
      There is the link to the factory page and to the company which helped me to source it and ship.

2. Filip says:

perhaps preheating it, and then applying the full melting temp, this should drop the time the PCB is being cooked..

3. bearmos says:

looks like you have some fun “tools” (toys) :) ian!

i hacked together hot plate with an external PID controller and a hotplate and I love it for one-off prototypes. being able to easily inspect an assembly while it’s reflowing is really nice – much easier to to with a hotplate than an oven

4. neslekkim says:

those huge pogopins, what are they called?, pogopins also?
    I have been looking around for something similar to that (think stackable units, and provide springy chargingpins), but havent found those on ebay yet.

• Ian says:

They are pogo pins. The biggest are for holding the mounting holes of a board. They can be grounded or whatever, but I saw them used mostly as support for the board so it is aligned and the tiny test pogo pins don’t take the brunt of the force.

I did mess up in ordering my rig. I ignored the bottom and thought I would lower down a plate and test from the top, but most rigs at seeed press the board down from above onto the test bed below. I will need to cut a bottom plate, probably with SoB mounting holes and a grid of smaller holes to poke pins in. Not quite sure, but I should have ordered that part with the rig.

• bearmos says:

the pogo-pin arrangement for aligning/holding the PCB is interesting – it would definitely be easier/faster to put the board on than using something like alignment pins (which have a very tight fit). This also allows for more slop when designing the vertical travel of the whole system.

Looking forward to seeing what the final test fixture winds up looking like.

5. katjap says:

Nice, but where’s the rock?? :)