Hive retro computer

hive064_05
The crew from the German HIVE Project are developing a retro style DIY computer with Parallax Propeller chips. The design includes three Propeller chips (containing a total of 24 RISC processors), VGA graphics, video output, stereo sound, about 1 MB of RAM, SD Card reader, LAN, mouse and keyboard. The design uses all DIP and through hole components.

The original project site (in German) contains full details on the project. The page translated into English by Google can be accessed here. The project is open source and is well documented (see the Downloads link on their site for hardware and software files.)

A comprehensive project by a dedicated crew. If you’re into retrocomputing or Propeller dev, you’ll want to check this out.

This entry was posted in DIY, open source, Parallax Propeller, vintage and tagged , .

Comments

1. boz says:

Very nice. Very professional.

I wonder if they will upgrade it to the Propeller II (if it ever arrives)

2. Sleepwalker3 says:

Not knocking the project at all, looks good, but how is a bunch of Parallax processors ‘Retro’ or ‘Vintage’?

• I was actually thinking the same thing. But maybe VGA and thru-hole is considered vintage nowadays :-)

• Sleepwalker3 says:

Through-Hole is Vintage? Now you’re just making me feel old before my time Mats! :P

Lol

Vintage is my 70′s model CAI Minicomputers (which ironically were fairly large and heavy with their 40A+ power supplies) with magnetic core memory or the Paper Tape punch/reader I have sitting here.

• Hm, now you’re making me jealous. I’ve wanted a paper tape punch/reader for a long time now. Or at least a ASR33. But I’m considering myself lucky to have a wife that allows me to lug a complete full size arcade game from the 80′ies from Sweden to Dubai and then to Kuala Lumpur. Maybe a ASR33 would be the straw that broke the camel’s back….

• Sleepwalker3 says:

ROFL! Well I only have 1 or 2 Punches, but I have a number of Readers that are relatively compact. A few Facit ones, some older slightly bigger units (can’t recall the brand name). These are generally mounted on 19″ rack panels (2U I think), but can be removed from the panel and are then perhaps 4″ x 2.5″, need +5V, +24V. Think I have a circuit diagram for the Facit too. Also have some relatively modern little units which are only about a 2.5″ cube, look pretty cool, think they’re just 5V. There are some little interface boards for all of these too (TTL). Not quite sure exactly what I’ve got still, much of it is in storage, but if you’re really interested I’ll see what’s around.

Years ago I could have had any amount of the old Teletypes (the older Baudot type), but all long gone now.

At one place I went to years ago, they wanted me to convert over a very old Siemens PTR which used metal brushes (like the old Scalectrix) instead of Optics!

Sounds like you’ve been around a bit!

3. eff zog says:

@sleepwalker3 and @Mats: I would forget those ASR33, man I hated those things and they were butt ugly to boot. I was a teenager in the seventies (maybe a bit older than you guys) and back then the classiest IO device was the IBM converted selectric typewriter. They produced beautiful output at about 10 characters per second, looked nice and were built as solid as a tank, – real collector value. They had such nice tactile feel and sound when being used.

Second choice would be an Anderson-Jacobsan daisy-wheel printer (with keyboard) also had good looking typewritten output. Avoid DECwriters, dot matrix output and they had a flimsy feel and vibration.

4. Sleepwalker3 says:

Lol Eff, ahhhh Reminiscing…

I recall the name Selectrix, but don’t ever recall working on/with them or any details about them. I think the things I was referring to were earlier than the ASR33, but who know? The DEC writer rings a bell (CHR$7 ???), might have been connected to the old VAX system? No idea, just a mishmash! Well I’m only young, though I have some hazy recollection that programming was something you did on Punch cards – marvellous HID devices – or Binary Switches.