Seeed sends $10 Fusion PCB service coupons with every PCB order

in PCBs by DP | 12 comments

FusionPCB-back

Seeed Studios is currently (17.1.2013-20.1.2013) running a promotion where you get a $10 Fusion PCB service coupon with every PCB order. This is a push to promote the recent changes made to the ordering process. The service is now made through an automated online ordering process. You just upload your files, chose the specs and make the order.

Hi dear friends, we understand that you are very concerned about our Fusion PCB Service. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience occurred previously. And we never stop trying to make the service better meet your requirements. Besides the latest optimization in order steps, we’ve also made some improvements in our Fusion PCB Services (will be described in details later).

And we would LOVE to share this good news with you by coming up an activity. Enjoy our new and better Fusion PCB Service; and at the same time gain a $10 coupon!

This entry was posted in PCBs and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Kris Lee says:

The rules of Panelizing:

There should be no more than 5 sub-boards to fit the size.
    The sub-boards should only be separated by the silkscreen. Using any holes or slots to separate the sub-boards is not permitted.

2. Jay Wilkinson says:

I was thinking I’d like to do a set of boards with bunches of tiny breakout boards on it. 24 seems like a decent amount. I figure they just don’t want to break a bit drilling 100’s of holes, which seems like a reasonable request.

• Kris Lee says:

I’m wondering how much would it cost to add it as extra service.

• Patrick Friedel says:

Yeah, there are times where I don’t really need 5×5. I have a design that could end up with 30 boards panelized for the cost of 10, but I’m not ready to start cutting them apart just yet. I’d be willing to pay a 20% premium if I could have them scored, even. I mean, I understand that they want to avoid dealing with lost subassemblies, but it’d be great to bury the order code in the part of the board with the fiducals that I’d break away anyway. That’s the only thing that has me eyeing the domestic fab houses, and I totally understand why Seeed needs to ID the boards.

On topic though – is it wrong that I’m just knocking out a design this weekend just to get the coupon? Maybe having a set of “free” boards will convince me to try at home de-panelizing. :)

• Hey Patrick! I like your fading 5-RGB leds driven by a tiny85 -creations. Really cool.

I think you should try doing de-panelisation yourself for smaller boards. 0.8mm thick boards is the same cost as the regular 1.6mm at Seeed and they are really easy to just score once on each side with a box cutter knife and then just break apart.

I usually do a void in the soldermask along the cut-line by having a rectangle aboyt 0.25-0.5 mm with tStop/bStop there. This makes them even easier to cut.

• Patrick Friedel says:

Thanks! It’s always kind of fun working with low part counts and seeing what comes out. And yeah, I think I just need to bite the bullet one of these orders and see how much I mangle them. What sort of kerf / gutter do you plan for?

3. neslekkim says:

the webpage for this pcb service says I need to choose a file first, but I can choose only one file, where do I leave the rest of the files?
    Or should I ZIP the files first?

• Patrick Friedel says:

Yeah, bundle them up. If you use their CAM processor, they want the GTL, GBL, GTS, GBS, GTO, GBO and TXT files. Otherwise it’s top & bottom layers, top & bottom solder masks, top & bottom silkscreens, and the drill file. My only UI complaint is that the system won’t let you go “you know, maybe I want that in blue” and reupload it with the same zip file name.

• neslekkim says:

It seems like this “improved” process also doesn’t let you add the ordernumber on the print anymore?

4. Patrick Friedel says:

Yeah, I don’t see any way of forcing the order # into a design-appropriate location any more.