Type4me USB keyboard emulator automates passwords

in PIC, project logs by DP | 9 comments

t4m_5

Bored of always typing in the same password over and over again? Luca designed a board to tackle just that problem. It’s a USB composite device, featuring both a USB keyboard emulator and a serial port. You program the letter sequence for the keyboard to type via the serial port, then press a button on the board to output the word from the USB keyboard emulator.

Today’s project was designed to solve the need to enter, using a keyboard, the same sequence of characters (a password, a greeting…) many times.

This entry was posted in PIC, project logs and tagged , , , .

Comments

1. Sleepwalker3 says:

Would it not just have been easier to use a software program like KeePass (FOSS) http://keepass.info/ or Roboform, etc. ?

2. Luca says:

Hi Sleepwalker3,

the advantage of a physical device that enumerates as an USB keyboard is that it works even when copy&paste is disabled, when the software doesn’t accept “paste” (MAME-emulated games for example like in my demo), when you need to enter BIOS password…

3. Sleepwalker3 says:

Hmm, OK. I guess it could also be used at startup to enter the initial password for a system too. Now you just need to convert it to SMD and shrink it so it can be like a USB key that you plug in :)

4. robthebrew says:

So this is a bigger, more complicated version of:

5. murfaul says:

Hi Luca,

We have a need to set up the bios on a large number of PCs and I would like to find a way to automate it. Could this be used to emulate any keyboard key stroke (up arrow, down arrow etc..) or will it only execute text keys for passwords?

6. Luca says:

Hi! Yes it can emulate any keyboard key, for example the arrows used in the video for playing with Street Fighter. Write me for any questions…

• John says:

Hello Luca,

Can I purchase from you a few units to sample? I understand that it can emulate keyboard keys such as arrow keys, Enter, Esc and so forth, and I would like to test them on a USB based boxes that I have at my shop. And if all goes well, I would be looking to purchase few more units as well.

7. Ivan Zilic says:

Hi,

Similar device, with several additional features, can be observed “in action”. Video is available on:

Regards, I.