Tiny TL-WR703N router acts as a wireless USB port

in USB, wireless by DP | 6 comments

disassembled_tp_link_tl_wr703n

Madox wrote a tutorial on how to setup the cheap TL-WR703N WiFi router to act as a wireless USB port for your Windows computer. This means that any USB device you attach to the router will be recognized by your own computer as if it was pluged into a local USB port.

So it has taken me over three months of procrastination of building a USBIP image that will let me connect to my 3D printer wirelessly to actually writing up a tutorial to share it with the world.  This tutorial provides the basics of setting up a fresh TP-Link TL-WR703N image to wirelessly connect a Windows machine to a USB device attached to the router.

This entry was posted in USB, wireless and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Sleepwalker3 says:

Any USB device? Cool!

2. Darren says:

Great hack. Could I plug my USB Wifi dongle into it?

• Rohit de Sa says:

That would be kinda recursive, wouldn’t it? Inception-like.
      -Connect to a Wi-Fi router using a USB dongle.
      -Access the Wi-Fi dongle connected to the router through the dongle connected to your PC :-P

3. Sleepwalker3 says:

You could put your 3G or 4G USB dongle into it, but a WiFi dongle? um…
    Thanks Madox if you drop in, this could be very handy.

4. Olivier says:

Looks very cool, I’m interested in setting up a networked scanner, never really had success with SANE and Windows’ client.

5. David says:

Any chance of porting this to Linux?

Many of us prefer a non-proprietary open-source OS.

Thanks!