WordPress reinstall and site updates completed
Woohoo! WordPress comments were taking 10-15 seconds to post, now they’re working instantly again. Thanks for hanging with us. Here’s a run down on what we did today. We don’t know the cause, only that a fresh WordPress install helped.
- Backed up server
- Deleted /wp-admin/ and /wp-includes/ folders, replaced with new versions and set proper permissions/ownership. Only this step was needed to solve the issue
- Manually cleared out cache files in /wp-content/cache/ and all subdirectories
- Replaced all the WordPress .php files in the root directory with fresh v3.5 files and set permissions
- There were several presumably deprecated WordPress files in the root directory that were not included in the v3.5 release. These were moved to a deprecated folder for now and will be deleted if there are no problems: wp-rdf.php, wp-pass.php, wp-feed.php, wp-commentsrss2.php, wp-atom.php, wp-app.php
As long as SSH and phpMYadmin were open we tackled a few minor cleanups:
- WordPress blog and the Free PCB Store Zencart were sharing a database due to limits on a previous shared host. These were separated, renamed, and new passwords set
- Removed old duplicate forum database, removed dotproject database
- Renamed and updated database/username/password for forum, wiki (docs)
- Repaired and optimized the works
- Gave everything spiffy dp_ based names
May still need to update the off-site database FTP script to use the new names.
Please let us know if you find any problems.
Image CC BY-SA: Denelson83This entry was posted in #liveupdates, site and tagged LAMP, servers, wordpress.