PCB a Week 1: Crystal oscillator breakout

in project logs by DP | 8 comments

NU-Xtal

Matseng started a challenge for himself where he intends to post a PCB project a week. The first project is “NanoUtils Xtal” – a crystal oscillator breakout board. The board is designed to be interfaced with microcontrollers that have their oscillator pins next to a ground pin.

This board is a breakout containing a SMD crystal, two caps and a resistor meant to be used in breadboards when building something with an Atmel ATmega or a Microchip PIC that have the two crystal pins next to a GND pin. For instance the atmega328 or pic18f2550.

Via the forum.

This entry was posted in project logs and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Tony Ennis says:

niiiice

2. kevin says:

That’s funny, I was just thinking of making one of these two nights ago. Great idea :)

3. Leon says:

What about decoupling capacitor breakout board?

• Matseng says:

A decoupling capacitor breakout board…. Hmmm, it would require long header pins to it can be put over the uC and still reach down into the breadboard. And it would require some different layouts for different microcontrollers. Fun ide, I think I’ll try it if I have some extra space left on a board – or maybe as a separate project. Add a reset button and a power led and we’re golden. :)

4. Zeta says:

Nice. I would have thought that the fact that it added too much unpredictable parasitic capacitance would make it unreliable.

• Matseng says:

Don’t know if it will work at all – this is the prototype so to speak.

But I suspect that the capacitance in the breadboard itself is higher than what this breakout is adding. Especially if the breakout is populated with 12 pF instead of 18/22 pF caps.

5. pyrosster says:

Very nice board! I would like to try out one of these!

6. Paresh Mathur says:

I would use this to test the prototypes. I mean this is something which is new and uses frequencies which can give rise to lots of problems in the PCB. Now I don’t really have the know how to do this but I can read up on it, also I have got state of the art equipment in the lab I work at so there is that.

So basically I am the “more gear than talent” guy. (The amphour reference.)