Comments with links will require manual approval due to spam overload

in #liveupdates, News by DP | 20 comments

We are being spammed like crazy and the a kismet filter seems helpless to stop it. Until we can get a handle on it all comments with any links at all will have to be manually approved.

So sorry for the inconvenience, we’re working on a custom plugin based on lessons learned from the forum spam hammer that should be pretty transparent to most but totally torture spammers.

Image by kg: Public Domain

This entry was posted in #liveupdates, News and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Matseng says:

Seems like a reasonable action. Maybe adding an extra moderator or two could help as well…

2. Grapsus says:

I have the same problem on my blog, this is a freaking plague, there is even a ton of spam without links, just with spammy words. I don’t know what to do, I have moderation on all comments and I don’t have the motivation to review them. The ratio of good comments is like 2%.

There is one thing I noticed : 90% of those comments come from IPs that belong to chineese AS. The AS info can be lookup up manually on sites like hurricane electric, and for automation there are telnet based services (in Europe, the RIPE has one). I don’t know if it would be fair to force moderation on comments from those countries though…

3. TomTom says:

As long as you are using wordpress try the antispambee plugin instead of akismet.
    It’s helpfully to allow only a certain language. Keep the “marked as spam” comments, because antispambee refers to this comments to recognize new spam.
    All in all I am very happy with this plugin.

4. wlanfail says:

The correct way.
    Have more spam than views on my blog.

5. dieter says:

why not to use captcha?

• Arup Basak says:

Captcha will annoy users very much while they are just passing by and want to comment in no time. Captchas are good for blocking spambots, but what if there is a real person posting spam links in comments or www.
      Captchas are good for any signup form where the user is already prepared for filling up a form or so, but for comments it’s annoying.

For example, this time I’m commenting and writing just comment, are prefilled by my browser. But if there was captcha, then I may not have commented because that wastes time.

6. I heard there are companies in india that charge $2 for 1000 solved captchas, so it may become useless.

I am also very satisfied with antispambee on my blogs.

7. hak8or says:

Hey guys, if you need people to check comments for spam, I would happily help out while you are getting the plugin up and running!

• Kris Lee says:

Images in your blog are broken. At least for me.

• hak8or says:

Oh dear, thanks for pointing that out! I am unfurtunetly away from any desktop so I cannot spot what is going wrong exactly, but I will do so later today when I get home. the rest of the images seem to be working though, just the homepage is not complying right now.

Again, thanks for pointing it out and visiting the website!
        It shall be fixed in a few hours :-)

• hak8or says:

This is weird, it works now even though I did not change anything. Might be the webhost, I have been having a few problems which I suspect them at fault, but am not sure.

Anyways, seems it is working now, thanks for the information anyways though!

8. Justin says:

Use Mollom, it works much better than Akismet.

9. Ian says:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try some alternative services asap. We won’t install a captcha because in my experience with the forum they are about worthless in practice.

The moderate if links setting in WordPress doesn’t include the URL field so stuff is still getting through. I installed a plugin that is supposed to strip all links but that doesn’t seem to work right either. Until I get back from make meeting Tokyo all comments will be moderated. So sorry for that!

My guess is there is a new spam script that is making the rounds. Seems to pull random bits of text from amazon reviews and paste as comment. Seems impossible for akismet to counter that other than blacklisting every URL marked by users as spam. Not sure what the ultimate answer is. Much harder problem than the forum spam.

Thanks for hanging with us.

10. David says:

Please – whatever you do, DO NOT use one of those resistor color code puzzles to verify humans like the Adafruit Blog does. I hate that thing (no doubt it hates me back).

• Zeta says:

I hate it too as most color blind people do.

• hak8or says:

Yes yes! Why do they print the browns and other dark colors with such a similar shade of black? :(

And damn purple vs blue! Not to mention green vs orange, and damn black vs brown!

• David says:

Hey you may be on to something there with the color vision deficiency thing. Most color deficient persons are Men! (There are 16 affected human males for every affected human female.). Maybe that’s why the Ladies at Adafruit put up that resistor color code nightmare – Revenge! ;-)