3D Model: FT230X Breakout Board with prototyping area

in 3D Model by Filip | 9 comments

Today’s 3D model is the FT230X USB-to-UART IC Breakout board with a prototyping area. It also features a LTC4053 Li-Ion battery charging IC giving you the option to add this to your prototype.

Some errors creeped up on the PCB design which were caught today. Namely the LTC4053 pads are a not long enough,  and the VUSB, VREG, 3V3, and GND breakouts are covered with silkscreen.

Check out our tutorial on how to build 3D models from Cadsoft Eagle board files, as well as the tutorial on how to render life like images with Kerkythea.

The models will be published in the Dangerous Prototypes 3D warehouse collection. They are also uploaded to our SVN. You can find them inside the “art” folders in the respective project folders.

This entry was posted in 3D Model and tagged .

Comments

1. hak8or says:

I am so happy that DP is now putting prototyping areas on PCB’s!

Seeing how the prototyping area uses up a huge portion of the PCB, how much would DP pay to have a board produced like this in volume compared to without the prototyping area?

Also, has DP ever considered going 4 layer?

• Sjaak says:

PCB area is relatively cheap (hence the xQFP board are cheap). Most of the costs of a prototype are in sourcing parts and manufacture it.

We dont have any urge (yet) for 4 layer boards, However I personally like to attemp to handsolder a BGA which almost makes a 4 layer madatory :)

2. Matseng says:

“Namely the LTC4053 pads are a not long enough”…

I did the same on my Kimcard – the 24LC256 (i2c eeprom) in a SOIC-08 package didn’t fit the footprint on the board. Turns out that the package that I had was the “medium” soic and not the “narrow” version that I had on the pcb. Easily fixed on my prototype by just bending the pins under the chip and then solder it as it was a PLCC chip instead. :-)

3. arhi says:

What is the true difference on these X chips (FT230X) to old ftdi chips (FT232RL for e.g.) ?
    Apart from X being bit cheaper, anything else?

• Sjaak says:

they are smaller and support the usb charging standard (about 1A instead of 500mA)

There are others but these two i remember from the top of my head :D

• arhi says:

so basically
        – cheaper
        – smaller external part count
        – charger embedded

hm, so I’d say 232RL is kinda obsolete?

• Jim says:

Yeah, 232RL is essentially obsolete. Except the X chips were recalled and they haven’t made the new ones available yet.

4. arhi says:

recalled ? why ?

• asdf says:

I don’t know if they’ve actually been recalled, but there’s some fairly important errata that seem to be common across all the FT-X devices.