How to build a surface mount resistor and capacitor collection

in parts, tutorials by DP | 9 comments

This tutorial shows how to easily, and relatively cheaply, build a nicely organized SMD resistor, and capacitor collection. George likes using connectable tiny storage boxes, and filling them with resistor/capacitor kits from eBay. This is complemented by printing out labels for your storage boxes using the label design files for download.

Via Twitter.

This entry was posted in parts, tutorials and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Kevin says:

I didn’t really have a place to make practical use of the little storage boxes. Instead I got a 144 compartment ‘Box-All’ enclosure. You can find them on eBay by searching for ’144 compartment’. Link – http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Empty-enclosure-w-144-compartments-each-w-lid-SMD-0805-/270350437076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef2244ad4

• Trev says:

Yep – I’ have a couple of the 144 compartment “Box-All” cases – excellent value for approx $US 29 shipped. I acquired a couple of the pictured plastic clip-together boxes, but went with the BA as the better solution because (1) the BA takes up less space; (2) the BA comes with labels (and a free pair of steak knives^H^H^H^H^Htweezers); (3) the quality of the plastic clip-together boxes is variable especially the sprung metal hinge; (4) the BA was cheaper to boot.

• Mikkelsen says:

but the ones from adafruit (you can find various brands of them on ebay to, (some are trashy, some are really good), that can take some of the bigger components, but if you only want to store resistors and caps, the above could be ok, if you arent using the book’s where you can stick the tape-cuts into.

2. GG says:

I work for a company which used resistors and ceramic capacitors in the past.
    At this point, we have a lot of cut-tape components in plastic bags. They were purchased from Digi-Key and Mouser.
    Would someone here be interested in purchasing them as a whole? One price for all the cut-tape items. I have one reel of ceramic capacitors which is quite full, and I would need to charge a higher price for it. It retails at $400 for 4K. But I’d have to see for how much I would sell it, depending on how many capacitors are in the reel.
    Anyone interested?

• neslekkim says:

Regarding the cut tapes, depending on if they still are in the bags from digikey/mouser, quantity and price.
      I have bought various leftover cuttapes, but problem is that they are not marked, not in bags from supplier, so it is almost impossible to find out what is what, and therefore mostly an throwaway purchase.

3. GG says:

99% of what I have, is in the original bags, with original distributor labels. No prices are on the bags nor labels. I’ve never seen any product labeled with pricing, since I’ve worked here.

I also have some capacitors which are now obsolete. Panasonic part #ECJ-0EB1A104K. About 600 caps.

• neslekkim says:

Ah, didn’t need the prices, as such, only that the parts itself still are labeled so you know what it is.
      Cut tape is not easy to find out the values of componets for instance.

My question about price was more about what price are you looking for?

4. GG says:

I’m in the process of itemizing everything and finding pricing from DigiKey and Mouser.
    Of course, I’m not expecting to sell at those prices. But at least I have a reference.
    I will advise once I have all the details together and in their proper order.
    Thank you so much for your feedback.
    GG

5. GG says:

By the way, do you think anyone would be interested in purchasing a Honeywell HMR3000 Compass Module, or an Analog Devices ADIS16354AMLZ 0161 ?