Microchip expands USB portfolio with fifteen new 8-bit PIC MCUs

in Chips, News, PIC by the machinegeek | 13 comments

Microchip has announced the release of a new line of USB 8-bit PICs. The new devices range from 14 to 100 pins with up to 128 KB of Flash. According to the announcement, sampling should begin in early October. All feature internal clock sources with the 0.25% clock accuracy necessary for USB communication eliminating the need for an external crystal. Additionally, all three families are eXtreme Low Power compliant, with power consumption down to 35 µA/MHz Active and 20 nA in Sleep mode.

You can download the 18 page PDF description from Microchip for more information.

Vladimir via the contact form.

This entry was posted in Chips, News, PIC and tagged .

Comments

1. Jay Wilkinson says:

Most are available now to sample.

2. cmdrk33n says:

from the PDF:

*No External Crystal Needed!

damn nice! :-)

3. Vladimir says:

I live in Ukraine and Microchip does not send samples to my country. If anyone can resend me one sample of PIC16F1459 in leaded SMT package — help please. the.smok@gmail.com

4. Drone says:

Don’t some “simple” USB stacks like V-USB for AVR’s automatically calibrate the uC clock to the USB/PHY interface? Is that’s what’s going on with these PICs?

Excerpt from the 18 page download .pdf:

* PIC16F145X and PIC18FXXK50 have Active Clock Tuning

* PIC18FXXJ94 family has USB-accurate PLL & Oscillator

Hmm… I need to read about these parts more. But getting late here my time…

5. tbutuza says:

Hello,

I have a problem with Microchip’s new microcontrollers. (Not these USB parts, but other new ones). I recently started to use PIC24FJ128GA310 mcu, but I cannot program it with my Pickit2. This device is not supported by Pickit2 (now). I browsed through Microchips website but did not found exact information, what kind of programmer is compatible with 24FxxGA3xx series mcus. These are new series but as seen not supported by Pickit2 neither Pickit3. Does Anybody have information about how to program these devices?
    Thanks, Tamas

• Matseng says:

According to the “Development Tools Selector” on the Microchip website the PIC24FJ128GA310 is supported by MPLAB PM3, MPLAB ICE 3, MPLAB REAL ICE and the PICkit3.

And by selecting the device in MPLAB IDE v8.76 all of the above programmers have a green light (PICkit2 is red). The PICkit3 can also be used as a debugger for PIC24FJ128GA310.

I don’t have access to the chip so I can actually try it though…

• Filip says:

MCP stooped development on the PK2 a few years ago.. So all new parts that came out in the last few years are unsupported.

To my knolige there is no way to get MPALB to work with PK2 to program one of these new chips, while the standalone PK2 app can be hacked to support new chips.(can’t actualy confirm this is true since I haven;t done it, got myself the olimex PK3 clone)

6. tbutuza says:

As seen, I have to switch to pickit3 for this new microcontroller. I recently ordered a Pickit3 and waiting for arrival. As I see it works well with Mplab. However, I’d like to use it in a different way: Is this possible to use it without Mplab? I do the development, but after the code is finished, I’d like to give the compiled code to other person, who will program the microcontrollers later. I do not like to give the source, only the compiled code. Is this possible with Mplab to program a hex file to mcu with pickit3 without creating a project and compile anything? Is there any other program to do such thing with pickit3?
    Pickit2 has a great standalone program, but apparently pickit3 does not.

• Filip says:

PK3 has a standalone program for stuff like that, and it has the option for you to just load hex files in MPLAb without the source code shown…

7. tbutuza says:

I’m not happy with this. This is written in the readme file of the pickit3 application:

This release of software/firmware allows the PICkit 3 to be compatible with the
    scripting framework that was originally developed for the PICkit 2. This allows
    sharing device files and application support between PICkit 2 and PICkit 3.

As I understand, the standalone app transforms a pickit3 to a pickit2, allow to use device definition file released for pickit2. My problem is: PIC24FJxxGA3xx series are not supported by pickit2, therefore it is not listed in the pickit2′s device definition file. Transforming the pickit3 to use pickit2′s device file does not solve my problem.

I have a real pickit2. I don’t like to transform a pickit3 into a second pickit2. I’d like to use pickit3 to program micricintrollers unsupported by pickit2.

Tamas