Workshop Update for August 21st, 2012

in Workshop Update by DP | 16 comments

With about a month until Maker Faire New York we’re scrambling to get things together. We’ve contacted some shops about showing up for a tour today.

A few bugs in the IR Toy code were isolated. Squashing will continue on Friday.

We’re also considering building a huge nixie thing with all the tubes sitting around. Could be fun to take to Maker Faire and keep in the workshop.

Routed the Smoke Tester v1 board.

This entry was posted in Workshop Update and tagged .

Comments

1. philip says:

can you make a nixie display of tweets from twitter? hihi

2. philip says:

oops are nixies capable of displaying letters??ive only seen numbers..Nixies to display the fibonacci sequence then!

3. darell says:

Ahh how nice. I was thinking of getting some to play around with, but it’s not readily available here in Singapore. Looks like I’m going to have to ship them from the US.

4. Matseng says:

Most nixes are sold by sellers from the former Soviet Union and also shipped from there. There are a mix of good and bad sellers but most of them seem to have formed a cartel to keep the prices up. There is a guy in Germany that is really trustworthy, somewhat more expensive than the ebay “Soviets” but you know that you will get tested and well packaged items.

Ask Jan First is the name of the shop: http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm

If you’re interested in Nixies you should also join the Neonixie-group at Google.

5. erdabyz says:

I can help you design the power supply!

• Ian says:

Normally I would totally build one up, but since time is short I’ve ordered a hefty transformer to handle all the tubes.

• buzzdavidson says:

There are a couple of very nicely-designed power supplies sold by members of the neonixie-l group. I’ve used both of these supplies in clock designs and have been very happy with them. Standard disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with either of these guys, just a happy customer.

Let’s see if I can actually post a link this time without messing it up…

First, John Taylor has a couple of models available (handy comparison chart here). The very first nixie clock that I built was one of John’s kits (the “TI Appnote” kit, all 7400 series logic)

Neonixie-l user threeneurons makes a nice dual HV supply that’s handy for nixie clocks which also contain a dekatron or two – it’s usually available on eBay via seller “tortugascuba”, sample link here.

Threeneuron’s blog is a wonderful reference for working with nixies, dekatrons, and other obscure HV technologies.

6. Spanner888 says:

I always knew Nixies would look good – last night along with 50+ others I saw some really nice ones and fantastic 8x8x8 LED cube. They were the hit of the night, although the other speakers were a close 2nd :)

See http://xinchejian.com/2012/08/22/wednesday-meetup-free-xinchejian-7-9pm-22082012/ and aguegu.net/