Workshop Update for July 30th, 2012

in Workshop Update by DP | 9 comments

Today was a whole lot of preparing for the Singapore Maker Faire. We ran through the FAQ and Get your stuff made presentations. Rounded up software. Tomorrow demos need to be tested fully. Don’t forget the tablecloth. We regret not looking into audio recording options earlier. A Zoom H4n is suddenly on the wishlist.

Work continues on the Bus Pirate demo board v5 firmware. We fixed the protocol and device jumper setup, and fixed up the I2C ADC mode.

We’re also doing a survey of ARM chips. What’s your favorite chip and toolchain?

This entry was posted in Workshop Update and tagged , .

Comments

1. bearmos says:

RE: ARM chips. I recently picked up a STM32F4 discovery kit ($15) – MCU is ~$10 single quan (Cortex M4 with FPU), and am running the CooCox toolchain (FOSS), which seems to work well. This was discussed a bit in the and a few notes made on setup on the

What’s with the H4n?

• Ian says:

In workshop videos I use a secondary camera as a boom mic and align the audio with the other cameras. A real audio recorder would free up the camera, and the H4N can mark “scenes” so there would be a way to note when we finally get a good shot.

The reason it’s on my mind now is the beginning of Global Geek videos “season 2″. We use the mics on the cameras on these trips too and have a host of issues that would be solved by a separate audio device.

I have to scream my bits for clear audio which draws a lot of attention to us, some Ozzie guy on vacation with his family got really nasty during the shot on the ferry in Hong Kong for the Apliu video. Its also really hard for me to scream things correctly and look natural :) See the intro/conclusion of the Shenzhen China video for example. With a recorder I can wear a lapel mic and our shooting gets a lot more versatile.

We’ll also be filming at a maker faire again. In crowded places everyone has to scream extra loud directly at the camera for good sound. The H4N can be used like a hand-held mic to record these interviews, and also give the interviewee some indication of when to talk (and me something to do with my hands).

While I couldn’t find the H4n locally, I found the much cheaper H1 ver 2 which is being delivered today. I’ll probably do a quick unboxing video and go over this summary :)

• bearmos says:

Better audio is always a plus. For the price, I was going to suggest an entirely separate setup for your studio, but it sounds like portability is a huge factor as well. The h1 looks like it should work well – proper mic’s make all the difference.

• Ian says:

I’d still welcome the suggestions.

I got the H1 as a stop gap and filmed the workshop video already. Wait till you hear the comparisons to past setups we used. It sounds like DVD commentary. Top notch. No more Aussies yelling at me for too many takes :)

2. Drone says:

So what are those blue balloons on the Singapore map? Places you plan to visit? If so what are they?

• Ian says:

They’re all the electronics places we plan to hit on the tour. Singapore Hackerspace, etc. We’ll post the full google map layer with our tour.

I hope you can make it. I can mail you the layer personally if it is a factor in your decision. We’re planning for Friday at 10:30. 5:30 there is a thing at the hackerspace. Mats is coming from Kuala Lumpur at around 2:30 too.

3. rsdio says:

OMAPL132 is an ARM9+C674x DSP dual core 200 MHz chip for $14.45, quantity 100.
    AM1705 is also an ARM9 single core 456 MHz chip for $8.61, quantity 100.
    Both have on-board USB, at least 2 SPI and 3 UART peripherals. I’m considering one of them for a new project, so maybe it’s not fair to say they’re my favorite just yet.