PSoC1 programmable embedded system-on-chip

in dev boards by the machinegeek | 8 comments

Web Warrior draws our attention to the PSoC1 family of programmable embedded system chips by Cypress Semiconductor. “EASY PSOC1 is an inexpensive starter board for PSOC1 family featuring CY8C28433 chip. For newbies, PSOC1 is world’s first programmable embedded system-on-chip integrating configurable analog and digital peripherals, memory and microcontroller all on a single chip. You can find more information about PSOC1 on Cypress Semiconductor’s website.

A variety of embedded dev kits are available with prices starting at $30 for the CY3210 PSoC First Touch Starter Kit.

Via the contact form.

This entry was posted in dev boards and tagged , .

Comments

1. hlipka says:

I think the PSoC3 and PSoC5 series is even more interesting – you get much more (and faster) hardware, more capable digital logic (its more like a small CPU inside) and up to Cortex-M3 CPU.
    I still need to write some blog posts about my projects with these chips :(

2. kmmankad says:

PSoC3/5 are waaay more powerful and easier to work with.

3. ewertz says:

IIRC the top speed of the PSoC1 is 4MHz. At least with the PSoC3 you have the possibility of using sdcc with it, no?

• kmmankad says:

Well,kinda.
      You could also use it with uVision.

• ewertz says:

The point I was trying to make is that since the PSoC3 is 8051-based that there’s a decent chance you can get a free compiler to work with it — which I’m assuming in the general case, uVision isn’t.

• Zeta says:

Yeah PSOC1 is just 4Mhz. But in the PSOC world CPU speed is not that important as you can find yourseld doing most of the job on hardware and using the core just for simple routines or user interface. This is specially true on PSOC3/5 since you can create your state machines or LUT on hardware and almost everything can be done without CPU intervention because it is so easy to use DMA.

• ewertz says:

Agreed. But it is abnormally (s)low, so I just thought that I’d mention it. The peripheral set can offload quite a bit if it’s a good match for your app.