Component Organizer source code released

in open source, software by DP | 10 comments

A while back we posted about an app, Component Organizer, that helps you organize datasheets, and app notes connected to various parts you may be interested in. Yesterday Msr let us know that he has released the source code. You can download it at github. He also added a tutorial to help contributors get started.

Feel free to contribute!
I’m still very busy doing my MSc thesis which has nothing to do with CO, but I would really like to see some activity on CO development. The next main goal is to integrate it with Octopart and add a BOM manager for projects. I wrote some hints (in fact, very simple hints) on how to get started with that.

Via the forum.

This entry was posted in open source, software and tagged , , , .

Comments

1. FoX says:

For those who want to build it on Debian/Ubuntu without installing QtCreator :

git clone https://github.com/3xdigital/Component-Organizer
    cd Component-Organizer
    sudo aptitude install libqt4-dev qt4-qmake
    qmake
    make
    ls -al _build/release/bin/comporg_unix

2. TonyD says:

Do you know if the Win7 version will work on WinXP?

3. msr says:

FoX, thanks a lot for the hint! I updated the README file with it: https://github.com/3xdigital/Component-Organizer

4. artag says:

is ‘Container’ intended to be taken as ‘storage location’, or the packing method (tube, bag, box) for the components ?

5. Egor says:

Just wondering, since we’re talking about the Component Organizer on Dropbox: I don’t know how much work would be involved storing data in Sqlite instead of XML (ha!), but this could allow multiple users access the same data and safely write back to the database (add datasheets and maybe changing stocks). I remember you need to implement some kind of locking mechanism for the duration of the write operation but concurrent reads are no problem.

The other thing I would like, is a way to specify the path for the data directory.

In any case, this is a really neat little tool! Many thanks for that.

6. wefwef says:

Another good program for organizing things (not limited to components) is called GcStar:

It’s very customizable. You can add whatever fields and categories you want, pictures of the component, etc.

7. wefwef says:

And, by the way, here’s a screenshot of GcStar running on my machine, with a database of some of my own electronics components:

I just wish I had the patience and discipline to enter in all that information for everything I own and keep the info current.

8. VaclavPe says:

I would like to have something like that in my Android with component database on the server. Does anybody know such application , I was thinking that maybe XMarks can be reused for that ?

9. fastlink30 says:

this is similar program that i’m doing for myself, is not finished, but is quite usable, if someone want try it, can email me :)