Workshop Update for June 13th, 2012

in Workshop Update by DP | 7 comments

Today we mixed up a few batches of homemade Rosin based flux recipes, the results in tomorrows workshop video.

Documentation on the Part Ninja continued today, with concept and overview documented on the part specific testing page. We hit a snag with a USB cable that kept disconnecting the Part Ninja while we were collecting data for various different parts. We fixed the problem by replacing the cable.

We finalized the DP Badge now named, “DP Badge custom v1.0″. We added a button, and a light sensor that will be used to update the scrolling message from a computer monitor.

This entry was posted in Workshop Update and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Dolabra says:

I can’t wait to see the badge!

I designed one of those a week or so ago, I did a charlieplexed 5×22 display. It is 0603 leds on a .55″x2″ pcb. I was going to send it off, but I got worried about whether or not I correctly designed the “blinky” interface to program from the computer screen. So I put it on the shelve until I prototype the light sensor interface. I thought a smart phone app for programming the display would be really cool so you can program it on the go. I will say that routing the charlieplexed leds was a PIA, I bet soldering 110 0603 may surpass that pain :)

2. jbeale says:

I just made some flux today! Took several hours to dissolve in the isopropyl. got a bunch of debris from the cardboard box it came in, will need to filter it to avoid clogging needle on dispenser bottle.

3. Charlie Brown says:

A video would be an excellent idea to demonstrate how Flux is made………….. I guess, it would be useful to me as others as well.

Thank you.

4. oliver says:

That is one huge chunk of rosin.

I think mine was like 1/100th of that. Even what’s on the scale is almost 3 to 4 times more then what I had :(

5. kevin says:

Cool idea about using a monitor to update the scrolling text. @Dolabra – excellent idea to use a phone to do it.

I have heard the data transfer rate is pretty slow using monitor screens. I wonder if it would be better to use an audio stream, basically a square wave which would should be able to transfer quicker.

6. JBeale says:

My new rosin-iso flux works well but my dispenser bottle has too large a tip. I think it was intended for oil or something else- the ID of the needle is 1 mm. Where can I find a bottle with tip about 0.5 mm or less?