USBug: LPC1343 breakout board

in project logs by DP | 7 comments

USBug is a LPC1343 breakout board with USB capability. The bootloader appears as a USB flash drive, just drag a new firmware into the drive to update.

Basically, my board is a 40-pin LPC1343 breakout board with 12 MHz crystal, USB Connect detection and disconnect, MicroBuilder’s single-button ISP, ISP Header and the standard LPCXpresso user LED. I added proper USB ESD/EMC handling, all this on a 5×2 cm board…

I plan to release the project as open hardware under CC-BY-SA license soon, as I just soldered the first prototype and that it is working as expected.

Via the forum.

This entry was posted in project logs and tagged , , .

Comments

1. magetoo says:

I like it, and I want one!

Squonk: Are the pins on the right for expansion? If you ever decide to build and sell boards, would you consider having a r0ket compatible connector? (in short; basically SPI, I2C and three GPIO, plus Vcc and ground)

• Squonk says:

Thank you! I will have to work faster then! In the meantime, you can drool at the 3D model :)

The connector on the right is a standard ARM SWD header for debug purposes.

As it is a breakout board, you have 36 out of the 48 LPC1343 chip pins that are routed to the 2×20 pins 0.1″ pitch headers (+ 2xGND/3V3/5V). So you get almost full access to the LPC1343′s GPIOs, SPI, I2C, UART, timer and ADC pins!

The 2 buttons are one for RESET and the other is a single-press ISP button to enter into ROM-based bootloader, either UART or USB, depending if an USB cable is plugged in or not.

• magetoo says:

Ah, I see. The reason for asking is that it seems to be a pretty decent choice for an expansion bus, and I would like to see it become more common.

Of course one can always wire things up on the breadboard, but..

• Squonk says:

The connector on the right is a standard 0.05″ (1.27 mm) pitch ARM SWD, so it is pretty small anyway.

And beside the Arduino shield and its fancy sockets that are not aligned on a 0.1″ grid, there is no standard expansion connetor

• magetoo says:

Right, and precisely because there is no good standard in common use is why it would be so nice to see that one adopted! But, I do realize that it makes much less sense for a breakout board.

Looking forward to further updates on the project

2. philip says:

Whoaw!!! this i I Like!

3. Squonk says:

The USBug project is now available at https://github.com/Squonk42/USBug.

Please check also the forum thread for a picture of the prototype!