Maker Faire Shenzhen China: Dangerous Prototypes FAQ presentation

in conferences, Maker Faire by DP | 12 comments

There were six featured speakers at Maker Faire Shenzhen covering all aspects of engineering and hardware manufacturing. We did an FAQ about Dangerous Prototypes, what we do, and why we like open source. Download the presentation here.

• What we do
  • How we started
  • Why open source?
  • Why open development?
  • Why free PCBs?
  • Why fulfillment?
  • Lessons learned

Video exists, but the audio is totally worthless. We might do the presentation from the workshop if there’s interest.

This entry was posted in conferences, Maker Faire and tagged , .

Comments

1. kevin says:

I’ve wondered those questions, I’d love to see it.

I know I’ve commented on post, sorry… I’m putting my son to bed and just catching up on ask my reading

2. kevin says:

That was supposed to be “commented on every post”

3. Spanner888 says:

That link does not work for me :(

I have been looking for the presentations from this mini-maker faire … does anyone know where the other ones are??

I posted a comment asking this on the Senzhen faire site a couple of days back … but it has not appeared yet .. I guess they are in recovery mode .. or preparing for the Beijing event.

4. bronson says:

I never even considered getting a pick and place machine until you said not to get one… Now I want one bad.

• Ian says:

Every time I give a presentation I work in the ‘don’t buy a pick and place’ line. Every time someone comes up afterwards and says they bought one and it stalled/harmed/crashed their main money making activities. I have heard dozens of horror stories, and only one ‘we got it working’ story (outside of Adafruit and SFE, but a buyer at SFE told me they are sending more stuff out to be professionally assembled too).

It’s a cool machine/robot, it you want one just to tinker, go for it! If you hope to turn your widget into a small fortune by assembling it in your garage, you’re probably better off working at McDonald’s for 6 months and investing the money in long term bonds…

5. GinPB says:

You should start a video section called “Me & _____” where you show how to use DP products. For example “Me & Bus Pirate” you make a video on how to test a SPI device or whatever using the Bus pirate. In this way you make publicity to DP products, and generate original content for the blog, because often on the blog you show articles that had been already published on other sites (Hack a day, hacked gadgets, …). Just a suggestion.