Updated Bus Pirate v3.5a DIY edition partlist

in builds, Bus Pirate by DP | 11 comments

Bob shared a new Mouser shopping cart for the Bus Pirate v3.5 DIY edition. The Bus Pirate is an open source hacker multi-tool that talks to electronic stuff.

Get the Bus Pirate DIY edition PCB from the PCB drawer for $3.95. Get an assembled Bus Pirate for $30, including world-wide shipping. Also available from our friendly distributors.

Via the comments.

This entry was posted in builds, Bus Pirate and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Bruce says:

It would be wonderful if there were parts lists like this for some of the other projects as well. I was thinking of ordering the BP demo board and it’s taking me forever to figure out what some of the parts are. I found a reference elsewhere on the site to D2 being a zener diode, (duh, it’s also marked that way on the schematic, I should have caught that) but no mention of what voltage it should be. 3.3V at a guess?

A shopping cart parts list just seems like such clear documentation by comparison to SOD-323F or RN8P-4R-CRA06S.

2. Spanner888 says:

YES – very clear doco, and beyond that it can lead to verified footprints that match a version of a PCB, provided that people who use the shopping cart provide feedback on success and issues when they build!

DP already has several resources along these lines:-

• Ian says:

Thanks Spanner,

Yes, there are shopping carts for most complete, tested projects. Some in-development projects have carts, but for many we haven’t even chosen parts for many of them ourselves.

The vast majority of our parts can be found on the partlist page:

and anyone is welcome to create a shopping cart and add it to the wiki :)

• Bruce says:

Ian,

Any suggestion what value Zener to use for the latest Bus Pirate Demo Board?

• Ian says:

Hey Bruce,

If you have a PICKit3 you don’t need it.

The PIC has 8.1volt max VPP for programming. ICD2/PICKIT2 use 13volts. New PICKIT3/ICD3 have adjustable VPP. I hacked a resistor and 8.1volt zener to cut VPP to 8.1 on my dev board cause I use ICD2, and made it optional on the new version for any potential developers. There is a trace between the resistor pads that has to be cut in order to use the VPP reduction part, otherwise it just shorts around the resistor and could damage the zener (if present) or programmer’s boost power supply.

• Bruce says:

Ah, no problem with the PICKit3, got it. Maybe that would be obvious if all my experience to date wasn’t AVR. I’ve got at least 3 programmers for them and I know all the attendant lore, but I’m starting from scratch on PIC.

I understand that the resistor and zener are a pair and why, it’s just the appropriate zener voltage I wasn’t sure of. I think I will include them even if I don’t personally need them. Once I’m done building and playing with the board I intend to donate it to my local hackerspace and in that case more robust = better.

Thanks!

3. Spanner888 says:

…. oops!

DP already has several resources along these lines – including SHOPPING CARTS :-
    – Partlist – common DP parts and suppliers
    – Eagle footprints are in our public domain part library.
    – Shopping carts http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Shopping_carts

If you have trouble finding them – remember they are way – way down at the bottom of the projects page!

ps – DP started publishing shopping carts, but I think they need to be advertised MORE, so I have been nudging this along with posts here and there, and prompted the start of the single shopping cart page. You will see I am am pushing an even bigger idea of use of shopping carts to turn your project into a “kit”, so others can easily build it!

4. Louis Mamakos says:

It looks like the Bus Blaster v2 shopping cart linked form http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Shopping_carts is missing the CPLD. Or I can’t read.. but it sure does’t seem to be there..