512K SRAM memory module with 13 pin interface

in project logs by DP | 8 comments

An open source 512K SRAM memory module for adding extra ram to your project:

I have designed a very simple PCB module that allows access to 512KBytes of Static RAM.  It is compatible with any microcontroller with at least 13 free digital IO pins and the ability to run from a 3.3v or 5v supply.

It uses four 128K x 8bit SRAM chips connected in parallel. This is a 4 layer board with components placed on both sides.

This entry was posted in project logs and tagged , , .

Comments

• hak8or says:

I just wanted to say this, even though I know it is off topic. I love your site, it hits “simplicity” very well, and the coloring of it too, but if I may suggest one thing. Make the text area of each post a bit wider, since currently it looks a bit too “long” and not wide enough.

I was about to ask about the pictures of the littleprinter guy, but then I realized that they were from the site. :P Was going to ask if they were rendered or reach pictures.

1. hak8or says:

Oh wow, that is fantastic! A four layer board is quite a jump in price, especially if you do not know for sure that it will work. Also, I am very interested in the license thing at the bottom, if it is a template and where he/she got it from, and if it is free to use by anyone.

Also, very nice black soldermask!

2. Adam Ward says:

Happily the design does work, I have had time to test it comprehensively. The black (purple actually) soldermask is merely a by-product of the PCB prototyping company I used for this initial proof of concept model, any production runs of this unit will likely be some other colour.

The 4 layer layout is still a design in progress, it was easier to do a 4 layer for the prototype just to prove it works as expected. Now the circuit is validated as functional I will probably respin this board to make it a 2 layer. As you say it makes sense to stick to 2 layers for larger volume production runs.

I do plan to make this available to people if there is enough interest, either as a kit or as fully assembled units – again depending on the level of interest. In any case if anyone wants to build it themselves they are free to do so according to the licence.

I’ll be posting further technical information in platform non-specific plain english (that will allow people to write their own drivers should they wish to, for any microcontroller platform they want) in the next week or two. Plus I will also release my own Propeller driver code into the Parallax “OBEX” community.

Keep the comments and questions coming :)

3. Adam Ward says:

Also @hak8or, thanks for reminding me to give attribution to the authors of the original Disclaimer I used, I’d forgotten to put that in, oops. There’s a link in there now if you go back to my blog page.

• hak8or says:

Fantastic work with everything :)

I noticed what I think is a typo in your blog
      “For the above boards (4 layer, about 3 square inches of board area, 2oz copper, silkscreen, soldermask, PTH, gold plated pads). ” It appears you forgot a word or what I assume was the cost of the PCB. :P

I myself am interested in using dorkbot for PCB’s for my SMPS project, and am quite excited to try it out.

Lastly, that is a really good macro picture of the 4 layer PCB showing of the silkscreen!

4. Adam Ward says:

Thank you for the kind words and the typo thing, I’ve fixed that now, yeah it was about £25 (which gets you three bare PCBs). My other hobby is (very) amateur photography, so I like to take good product shots when possible. :)

5. Chuckt says:

Adam,

I’m trying to learn the STM32 Discovery board because it is my wish to make a microcontroller more “computer like”. The STM32 has plenty of i/o and memory so being able to add SRAM is something that I would like to go after. I would welcome a kit or full product with examples on how to use it.

Chuck