Categories

Interfacing a DHT11 humidity and temperature sensor

Posted on Monday, January 16th, 2012 in tutorials by DP

Raj show how to interface his PIC16F breakout board with the DHT11 humidity and temperature sensors. The DHT11 uses a proprietary single-wire protocol, not Maxim’s 1-Wire (which we consider EOL).

This articles discusses the DHT11 sensor which also provides calibrated digital outputs for temperature and humidity but is relatively lot cheaper than the Sensirion sensors. The DHT11 sensor uses a proprietary 1-wire protocol which we will be exploring here and implementing with the PIC16F628A microcontroller that will receive the temperature and humidity values from the sensor and display them on a 16×2 character LCD.

This entry was posted on Monday, January 16th, 2012 at 9:00 pm and is filed under tutorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

8 Responses to “Interfacing a DHT11 humidity and temperature sensor”

1. Colin says:

Good timing, thanks for this.

2. msr says:

Why do you consider 1 wire EOL?

• Ian says:

They stopped making new devices, and as old devices are discontinued they recommend non-1-wire parts to replace them.

• Sjaak says:

I think they still making the iButtons line of things as this seems to be a standard for contactbased ID systems.

I asked them about implementing a 1 wire slave into software using a pic, but they still would prohibit this. That would be the solution as more and more sensors are discontinued.

3. Colin says:

Isn’t is discontinued by Maxim?

4. Anil says:

Hi sir/madam Can you pls send me the source code to interface with at89s51 with dht11 humidity sensor?

5. andi says:

hi,,,
    can you send me the source code to interface at89s51 with dht11???

6. Engin says:

hi,can you send me the source code to interface at89s51 with dht11??? engcck@gmail.com