Small 10 mW thermogenerators available retail

in parts by DP | 10 comments

This device is a tiny SMD thermogenerator that harvests heat energy to generate up to 10 milliwatts of power. Dev boards are available at Mouser for a mere $700 retail.

In case of Micropelt devices, one side is placed near the heat source and the other side has a fixed heat-sink on top of it.

The top part, as seen in the picture above, is soldered “upside-down” through a hole in a PCB. This is the hot end.

The bottom part, as seen here, is the cool end. It sits over the PCB and requires a heat-sink. Here’s what it looks like implemented.

Via Electronics-Lab.

This entry was posted in parts and tagged , , .

Comments

1. hak8or says:

Now this is exciting. :D !!
    I always wanted a small peltier for very low power applications, but was unable to find one.

However, the price in mouser for the dev kit is $384.91, not $700, unless I am looking it wrong or something. :P

2. willemite says:

the one pictured links to $637.39

3. ewertz says:

Monkeys can change a lot of batteries for $637.39… that is, unless they’re union monkeys.

4. Chuckt says:

I would be afraid of high tech thieves who knew what they were looking for.

• ewertz says:

‘hear ya. I’m afraid of using LED bulbs outdoors for fear of having them ripped-off. Nowadays, if you can’t weld it down, it’s gone.

5. posje says:

Guys, the link is wrong.
    Products are much cheaper: http://www2.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=micropelt
    110 USD for a test kit

• ewertz says:

… with the two TEGs being $55 and $80.

• Ian says:

I’m sorry about the errors. I updated it with international links instead of the localized US version. Hopefully they don’t redirect you to your local site from the international version…

6. Jan says:

OK, now I only need some Plutonium pellet and I’m all set for RTG :D

7. hak8or says:

Ah, as usual, these TEG’s are extremely expensive compared to what you can get off ebay. $55 for such a small TEG? Oh, wait.

Damn it, I can’t copy paste, their PDF is “secured”. Anyways, these are prototypes, this is the cost of a prototype unit, which makes much more sense as economics of scale does not come into play here. You are buying a very small quantity prototype, hence the very high prices. Hopefully when they are done they will be like a dollar each or something, hopefully.