An introduction to STM32 development

in kit biz by DP | 6 comments

If you got the free STM32F4 discovery kit this site dedicated to STM32 development might be helpful. Geoffrey provides tutorials and examples to get you started with your STM32 projects.

Via the comments.

This entry was posted in kit biz and tagged .

Comments

1. Chuckt says:

Thank you.

2. Steve says:

The FreeRTOS section on the “Open Source STM32 Development” website requires payment.

3. Gridstop says:

This seems nice. Still not having a lot of luck with STM32.

I finally tried atollic studio and it recognises the debugger on my old STM32 discovery, but the basic ‘blinking lights’ example code always ends up dropping into an ‘unknown interrupt’ break, and never does anything.

I guess I’ll have to see if I can get codesorcery working with debugging.

Since coding for the metal in ARM is more about the hardware definitions/libraries than anything else, it seems the open source situation is not great. Yes there are IDE’s/compilers, but the libraries seem really rough. Makes the AVR32 software framework more enticing.

4. Mike says:

The STM32 can be a nuisance to get going the first time out, or if you boot it with a completely erased flash.

If you are trying to program it with OpenOCD, it can help to drop into the ST bootloader before trying to connect. Alternatively, hold the reset button down and connect, then ‘reset halt’ at the OpenOCD prompt. Release the reset button and ‘reset halt’ again.

Depending on which platform you’re trying to build on, the Summon ARM Toolchain project may be of use. There’s also the stink project if you’re on Linux and want to talk to ST’s debugger rather than OpenOCD.

5. Gridstop says:

So far I’ve only tried with atollic, which is supposed to work properly with ST-Link, since it’s a supported platform. I’m probably just missing something.

I’m very close to trying the summon arm toolchain bit. It appears they use newlib as the libc. But I can’t find much info at all on how to do things like interrupts and other hardware-specific stuff. I can’t find much in the way of documentation.

6. Rious says:

If you’re trying to use the stm32f4 with Linux, I’ve got a quick setup guide STM32F4-Discovery Board with Linux, I’ve also got one for Mac OS X STLink for Mac OS X. The site mentioned in the article doesn’t have much help for people with the new free stm32f4 discovery board. It is geared towards users of the other M3 boards.

You can find header files by searching for CMSIS, or downloading the stm32f4-discovery firmware example from ST Micro.