Adafruit + Instructables make it Tweet challenge

in hacks, News by Ian | 7 comments

Adafruit announced a Make It Tweet Challenge:

We’re teaming up with Instructables to bring you the Make It Tweet Challenge. Ever wish you had a tweeting coffee pot that would announce via Twitter when a pot was ready? What about a potted plant that twittered when it needed to be watered? This is your chance to make it tweet! How can you win the Adafruit Make It Tweet Challenge? Submit a Photo, Step-by-Step or Video Instructable explaining how you made an object tweet. Create awesome photos, good documentation and clear steps for how your project works. Your creativity and ingenuity may rewarded by winning awesome prizes!

This entry was posted in hacks, News and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Drone says:

This is lame. Instructables is an Email harvesting operation.

• Ian says:

I posted some of my first projects at instructables. While they got way more commercial over the years, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten an email from them.

2. Ian says:

I would actually like to make something and submit it. Probably with the web platform and audience interactive, but I’m not sure what.

3. Drone says:

@Ian, Instructables takes content freely provided by others to share with others, makes money on that content via ads, then hides part of the content that doesn’t belong to them from the intended audience unless you sign-up for their service.

Just yesterday I viewed an Instructable. As expected, one page of the schematic was shown as a postage-stamp sized thumbnail. Completely unreadable. I click on it to view, and a pop-up says Instructable requires that I Join in order to see the content – content the Author intended everyone see without being encumbered!

You can not believe-in nor trust the Privacy Policy provided by a nefarious operation like Instructables. Therefore, you can safely assume some percentage of the spam in your inbox came to you when Instructables sold and/or shared your personal information. Yes, you could give them a fake Email address when you sign up. But then you would be compelled to visit the site, which would put more money in their wallets.

• Ian says:

I hear ya. I’m not thrilled about some of the moves they made when commercializing the site. I’ve known a lot of the founders and people working there though, I really do trust that they aren’t spamming anyone (now).

My preference is always for open and complete. There aren’t ads here (other than ours) and never will be. I use adblock and am unashamed :)

• Drone says:

I see… Well, I’ll take your comments to heart – maybe they’re not selling or sharing personal info after all.

But I still don’t like the heavy-handedness in the way they treat the content of others; that THEY benefit from. Provide full access without the shake-down routine, or forget it. There are many out there that feel like this when it comes to Instructables – it’s a lose-lose for everyone involved AFAIK.

Best Regards, David

4. rsdio says:

I agree with Drone. Even if the founders are 100% reputable, the mere act of collecting account information puts the database at risk of being stolen by web server hackers.

As Drone points out: All of the information content on Instructables is provided for free by the authors, and thus there is no justification for requiring that visitors create an account in order to access the information. Even if visitors were 100% careful to not give any information that might be used for identity theft or spamming, that still represents a waste of effort to even recall a fake account name and throwaway password.

I can see requiring an account to comment, but not to view.