Discovery kit for the STM32L EnergyLite 32-bit MCUs

The STM32L-DISCOVERY helps you to discover the STM32L ultralow power features and to develop and share your applications.

It is based on an STM32L152RBT6 and includes an ST-Link/V2 embedded debugging tool interface, an LCD (24 segments, 4 commons), LEDs, pushbuttons, a linear touch sensor or touchkeys.

You can download the product brief here. The Discovery kit sells for about $18.50 from Digikey.

Thanks Deyjavont! Via the contact form.

This entry was posted in dev boards and tagged , .

Comments

1. CPCT says:

Having toyed with the STM8S, I suppose the compiler/IDE/… is again windows-ony and too expensive for hobbyists?

2. octal says:

This is an STM32, I think CooCox will work fine with it !

3. arhi says:

CooCox works with regular DISCOVERY board (not sure about this S – but you’d only need some additional libraries) but is windows only. It does partially work on Linux with wine and does not work on osx.

Atolic True Studio also works with regular DISCOVERY board so they might add support for S board too but is also windoze only (and no it does not with wine :( )

KEIL compiler and ide with with wine but are tooooooo expensive (and demo version is too limited)

IAR – should work – I never tried it

Now, you can compile your own gcc and bind it with eclipse .. it does work on both linux and osx and it works ok. That’s what I use with discovery.

Major problem I have on Linux is that ST-Link thingy – I never managed to use it for anything from linux :( … so I tapped the board and I use serial boot loader to upload code (and no – no debugging possible) .. in theory we could use bus blaster as a jtag debugger and programmer but .. I found that for debugging running some of the IDE’s inside VirtualBox running XP works just fine (and I have 3 xp’s running in 3 different virtual box machines non stop anyhow as linux is not really electronics nor cad friendly os)

4. octal says:

Crossworks for Arm from rowley works on all platforms correctly, but I don’t know if it supports DISCOVERY boards. Need to check, personal lic is not too expensive and it’s an excellent toolchain, and the dev team is very responsive.

5. arhi says:

for 1500$ they should be supporting it and they outta be responsive …

personal licence is only 150$ but does not allow you to sell the product with firmware compiled with it (so for e.g. you make bus pirate arm clone and you can’t sell it if you compile firmware with personal licence) … I’d rather use gcc then

You have free toolchain here: http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm
    and here: http://www.yagarto.de/

both can be bundled with Eclipse to add IDE and debugging features (for those who don’t like makefiles and gdb).

6. octal says:

Arhi, $1500 is not expensive for pro license! check HITEC C compilers entreprise licenses (their prices are per developper).. Check Intel compilers licenses prices per developper. Seriously, for professionnal use, $1500 is not too much, and Crossworks didnt made a simple new IDE for GCC, they really does great integration work, plus they provide their own (fully written by them) RTL on each MCU platform they support, and they add to it a full RTOS.

7. Gridstop says:

I want to try out the whole Eclipse/CodeSourcery setup sometime. I’m not sure how or if exactly the ST-Link debugging is supported in that setup, though. I partly want to try it because of the Chibi RTOS package, which looks interesting to me.

I wonder how much benefit there is learning the ‘iron’ (ie all the registers) on an ARM processor since I don’t see a lot of real arm development happening without some kind of OS and thus drivers. (Though of course you might want to write a custom driver.)

8. arhi says:

If you manage to make ST-Link work properly under linux – please share

9. akshay says:

this is video of an wrist watch with lcd display i made on Arduino decimillia… it shows time, day, date and plays music… and has an excellent graphical user interface