Categories

#twatch Twitter trends watcher firmware update v0e

Posted on Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 in #twatch, firmware by Ian

The #twatch is a network LCD backpack that shows the latest popular topics on Twitter. It was the first project at Dangerous Prototypes, over a year and a half ago.

Late last week Twitter removed the feeds the #twatch used to pull the latest trends and it stopped working. Thanks to Presence and everyone else who sent a bug report.

#twatch firmware v0e is now available for download. It includes a fix for the new feed URLs.

• Updated to current feed URLs
  • Backlight enabled by default
  • Based on v0b code branch
  • Full source package

Network update instructions are in the manual.

Get a Twatch with LCD for $45, including worldwide shipping.

Full bug report details below the fold.

From Presence:

Twitter moved the URL of the the current trends JSON blob.

Twatch is looking at the URL:  http://search.twitter.com/trends/current.json

However, now, the URL is:  http://api.twitter.com/1/trends/current.json

This is according to Twitter’s API documentation.

The fixed turned out to be a simple URL change.

//April 2011 Twitter changed the feed location to http://api.twitter.com/1/trends/current.json
 static BYTE ServerName[] =    "api.twitter.com"; //twitter address
 static WORD ServerPort = 80; //http server port number
 static ROM BYTE TrendURL[] = "/1/trends/current.json"; //trending topics JSON datafeed URL
 static ROM BYTE SearchURL[] = "/1/search.json?rpp=2&q="; //tweet search JSON datafeed URL

We changed  the URL and feed locations in twatchv1.c and recompiled. The new firmware was exported for the bootloader.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 at 9:49 am and is filed under #twatch, firmware. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

6 Responses to “#twatch Twitter trends watcher firmware update v0e”

1. Tebor says:

Thanks for the update, this is very much appreciated :)

2. Presence says:

Thanks for the update to the #twatch! The #twatch is my bedside nightstand companion, always keeping me up to date with the most up-to-date data before falling asleep and after waking up:

The #twatch is fed from a PHP script running inside an ancient netbsd “NAS” toy buried in a bedroom closet. The twatch displays the current time, weather, server loads from several boxes, and my character’s status from the web game “UrbanDead”.

So if I notice I’m being nommed on by a zombie when I wake up in the morning, I can jump to my character’s rescue. Very important business that #twatch delivers oh-so-nicely.

3. rsdio says:

Now all you need is a video update for the #twatch that uses an attached LCD to play the latest http://youtu.be/ URLs. I’d call it #twitv … you could watch for days like any respectable couch potato.

4. Scorpia says:

Nice,
    Looks like its time to pull out my V1 twatch and see if i can get it going finally.
    Does this firmware still have the V1 hardware code in it?

• Ian says:

I believe so yes, but it uses an old version of the Microchip TCPIP stack that I have archived for use with this project.

• Scorpia says:

found a copy of the v5 stack. ill give it a go soon and hopefully post it up working