Altera BeMicro SDK FPGA USB dev stick

Kati writes to inform us that Altera and Arrow Electronics have teamed up to introduce the BeMicro SDK (Software Development Kit), a prototyping board for embedded software developers to learn about FPGAs. The board runs a soft embedded processor on a 22K logic element FPGA, and utilizes the popular USB stick format. It’s available on Arrow’s website for $79. For more tech details check the Altera Wiki BeMicro page.

You can view Altera’s promo video here.

Via the contact form.

This entry was posted in dev boards, FPGA, kit biz, software and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Shobhit says:

It would be nice, if there was a mating part for the edge connector in the kit. I bought a Spartan 3e kit which comes with a Hirose 1.27 DS connector. I am struggling to get the mating part. Digi Key has it for $6-8, but the shipping itself is $40. Digilent sells the mating part wired to a breadboard, but there shipping is $50 again.

2. Zooboo says:

Google for ‘s6microboard’ for an equivalent design based on a Xilinx fpga. The chip’s smaller (9K logic elements) and a bit more expensive, but it’s easier to interface with another project.

3. Drone says:

@Zooboo, I agree. The first thing I saw was connector that is impossible to connect to. Then I saw the price – ouch! I’ll pass…

4. Ian says:

Lol, machinegeek and I both hit them up for some freebies to give away, and samples to include in projects. We may have some of these and/or some other Altera parts you can play with soon :)

5. Shobhit says:

@Ian, That would be really nice. Suggest something for that edge connector.

6. Alan says:

Damn. I was hoping to use the FPGA as a DSP, and make a decimating filter…
    Then I saw the connector.

Pass, thank you.

7. CJ says:

There is a mating part for the Edge connector available from Hitex. It has a prototyping board attached.
    Also in the pipeline are other ‘daughter card’ options.
    You can also get the board for half price by attending a free hands-on workshop hosted by Arrow.

8. Alan says:

If it used the USB connector for high-speed comms (480 mbps theroretical) I’d want one. If it had a fast ADC (or two!) and the FPGA could be configured as a Decimation filter, I’d be drooling at the chance to get into the basics of DSP.

As it stands, however, I wouldnt touch it with a 3 metre stick.