STATUS UPDATE: PIC LCD backpack

in LCD, Status update by Ian | 22 comments

We’re trying a new Monday post with status updates on new projects currently in production. This will cover project development, and gritty details like last minutes changes and production problems.

This is a USB and serial backpack for simple HD44780 character LCD screens. It has a few nice features that set it apart from the serial-only LCD backpacks at SparkFun and Adafruit:

• USB and serial control of characters LCDs
  • Supported in common software (LCD Smartie) as ‘matrix orbital’ display
  • Adjust contrast and backlight from software
  • Couple extra pins for buttons
  • 500mA fuse
  • USB upgradable

The master prototype has been shipped to Seeed, but we probably won’t produce it because HD44780 LCDs aren’t very popular anymore. If you’d like a PCB (and plan to build it) please let us know in the comments.

Slightly more on the wiki. Firmware and hardware are in SVN.

PS: Bus Blaster v2 is complete, tested, and listed in the Seeed store now. We’re hoping for stock tomorrow.

This entry was posted in LCD, Status update and tagged .

Comments

1. i want 1 or 2 PCB….how i proceed for that

2. Josh Davis says:

I’d love to give it try!

3. schazamp says:

I was actually in the middle of rolling my own serial-only backpack (based on the Adafruit one). I’d love a PCB if you end up with any extras, apart from the fuse and SMD crystal, I have everything I need to put it together.

Just curious, what makes you say HD44780 displays aren’t very popular anymore? What do you think is growing to replace them?

Andrew

• Ian says:

It seems like everyone is using various exotic color LCDs, OLED LCDs, etc, that work at 3.3volts with modern uCs.

• Ian says:

…adding the 5volt thing also makes this an expensive project. The 18F2550 is about $2 more than the 3.3volt version (18F25J50).

4. GWDeveloper says:

I’d like to test one out too. There are 3 of these LCDs on my desk.

5. James Hudson says:

I would take a PCB also. We still use character LCD’s in many projects and have plenty sitting around.

6. ricros says:

I’d like one, if possible…

7. JP says:

I would love one to try!

8. Rohit says:

I’d love to have one, please.

9. Anthony says:

I certainly want one of those! I’ve got tons of HD44780 displays, having (several) serialized ones working over USB would rock.

10. cuagn says:

YAB… Yet Another Bootloader.

Strange (and difficult) to understand why there is now (even after the svn reorganisation) a multiple set of copies of the modified Diolan bootloader.

Any reason ?

;)

• Ian says:

Yup, every device has a different indicator LED location, some devices have other special pins that need to be held a certain way for safe operation (CPLD/FPGA reset, etc).

• cuagn says:

Ian,

Sure, there are some reasons like these one.
        However, for a same processor (let say a 2550 for examle) all the differences may be located in io_cfg.inc.

As far as I’ve understood there is no need to duplicate (multiplicate) the same common sources.

Regards

Marc

11. Rusty says:

Like Anthony, I’ve got tons of 44780 displays and having one that connects with USB would get great! Sure, I’d like to try one out.

12. Bill says:

I would like one if there are any left.
    Have a few 1×16 character HD44780 based LCD.

Bill

13. haley says:

i would like 1 or 2 if possible. i still have my 80 characters LCD salvaged from an industrial UPS and a smaller 16 characters.

i usually use them for debugging on microcontroller projects and this LCD backpack would ease my work on interfacing.

14. Drone says:

HD44780 displays aren’t very popular anymore? They are ubiquitous, cost $5-$7 USD each (2×16). Not building out this project is a bad idea IMO. A real disservice to the Community.

• JTR says:

I wouldn’t say it is a “disservice.” Rather it just is not a service at all.

Otherwise I agree. DP aught to produce a small pilot run. Today embedded hosts are becoming more popular and something like this could be a simple and cheap debug tool. It would also be great as a general purpose 18FxxJ development board.

15. Klaus lehnert says:

I’m keen on building one. Have many HDs to test for recycling purposes. Any chance to get a PCB please??

16. Javier says:

I will build one if there’s a pcb still available.

17. I doubt there’s still pcb available, but I would be interested.