DIY Bus Pirate v3b and v4

in BP v3, BP v4, Bus Pirate by Ian | 16 comments

canghaiwuhen shares this picture of a hand-made Bus Pirate v3b, with a Bus Pirate v4 sitting in the wings.

Get your own handy Bus Pirate for $30, including world-wide shipping. Also available from our friendly distributors.

This entry was posted in BP v3, BP v4, Bus Pirate and tagged , .

Comments

1. Markus says:

I like the V4, it is a bit larger, but the PCB has mounting holes !

One suggestion: I would like it if the the PCB (and mounting holes) would fit a standardized plastic housing. I can cut holes for connectors much easier than create a entire housing from scratch.

• Ian says:

The final PCB is sized to fit a housing Seeed could find easily. I’m not sure if it is a “standard” though.

• Markus says:

If this housing can be obtained for a couple of $$ throug the seeed store, then that fits my need. Those laser-cut things look good, but I’m just looking for a cheap piece of plastic to protect the device…

I don’t know if there is a standard, I suspect each manufacturer has its own. So my term ‘standard’ was ill chosen. ;-)

• Ian says:

It is too bad, it would be nice if there were a couple standard box sizes, the same way paper size is standardized. A6 project box anyone :)

• Alan says:

My preference for size is: 2.3″ x 1.5″ (58mm x 38mm).
      Bigger than the V3, but a snug fit… inside a plastic Tic Tac box.

2. kkd89 says:

Any idea as to when the v4 will be released

• Ian says:

You can get a v4 now, but it is lacking a USB bootloader for upgrades. As soon as there is a bootloader for it (open source, we could use the Microchip HID bootloader now, but that presents issues) we will ramp up production.

• kkd89 says:

So is the current hardware design final?, or is there going to be further revisions to this

• Ian says:

The size changed slightly to fit a specific case, but it looks like this will be the final hardware.

3. oliver says:

Sorry for hijacking this topic, but basically as kkd89 says,

If I order the V4 now, will it (hardware wise) be future proof? I don’t mind murking about with the software and re-flashing it, but I’d rather spend the extra few dollars on a BPv4 board now, then buy a v3 now, and buy a v4 in a few months.

• Ian says:

I do believe it is the final hardware. As long as you have a programmer it should be future proof. There is no bootloader, and the software doesn’t work yet. It’s really only at developer stage right now, I wouldn’t use it for production stuff. Likely many of the features you’ll want to use won’t work yet.

• oliver says:

Well it’s just I have the possibility to pick one up now, and it will be harder in a few months. Also having to buy two is a little bit of over kill. Can a bus blaster program the bpv4?

4. ian says:

No, A pic programmer is required. V4 really is for development only. There is no release date. It may never be done. The only usable BP is v3.

• oliver says:

I should still have my old Pic programmer somewhere, or does it need a special kind? I used to have a UIRT2 (http://users.skynet.be/sky50985/ http://www.fukushima.us/UIRT2/) that featured an in-circuit programmer. Remove the crystal, short a jumper and it was a pic programmer :) It was all based on a PIC16F84A, might still have a few of those laying about actually. Could that be useable at all?

But from your reaction I sense that you’d really prefer me using the BPv3b for now. It’ll hopefully suffice for the next 5 years hopefully then :)

• Ian says:

I don’t want to discourage anyone from joining the development team, sorry about the short replies, they are all from a phone.

I don’t think the older programmers will work with newer 3.3volt 16bit PICs, but you can always check the supported chips in your software.

The problem is, there is no active development on BPv4 right now, at least until the USB stack is released. It largely does not work. If you have a problem we cannot support it, the only reply you’ll get is ‘source is in the SVN’.

The hardware is available now to help active developers push the project forward. It is priced extra high to discourage people picking one up ‘just in case’. Unless you are a hardened PIC developer, the v4 hardware is pretty much worthless to you now. When it is ready we’ll do a full production run and it will be much cheaper.

5. oliver says:

In that case, i’ll order the bpv3b :)

If a v4 is released next year or the year after; i’ll look into that at that time.